Chapter 2: Nightmares

Egon woke up laying down in the middle of a grassy meadow. He raised his head as he looked around. Nothing stood out in the huge field as far as he could tell.

Where am I?

He rolled over and looked at the ground. The grass looked so... real.

Is this actually real this time?

He sat up and looked towards the sky. There was no sun, but it was sunny, with not a cloud in sight.

This doesn't make sense...

He slowly stood up and looked around. Everything looked so... clear.

Haven't I been here before?

He started walking in a direction... any direction. He didn't care which way he went, only caring about seeing anything different in this rolling landscape.

He started running, not feeling tired at all. There had to be a catch to this.

Egon kept running, not breaking his stride. Soon, he felt like he was just in running in place, not going anywhere. Nothing broke over the horizon, and the landscape still resembled a grassy plain.

What is the point of this?

He stopped and knelt to the ground, hands clenching the grass. He shut his eyes.

C'mon Spengler, there's got to be a point to this.

Suddenly, he felt a chilly breeze. He opened his eyes. He couldn't see because it was pitch black. He felt the ground around with his hands. He felt cold, bare rock.

I must be in a cave... I don't remember this.

He slowly started to walk the direction he was facing, treading carefully everytime he took a step.

It seemed like an eternity until he came across a faint, glowing, blue light in the distance.
He tried to quicken his place until he slowly kneeled on the ground to take a look at the object.
It was his phone. The notification it had received was a text message. Egon opened his phone and located the message. It read:

í͕͔͉̥͉̖͔̝̪̠̝̖͔̱̩̩͘t̸̝̩̠͉͎̩͚̀͘͢ ̤͚̹̠̳̤͉͝i̛͏̶̣͕̻͉̪͔̩̫͈͔̮̫́̀s̶̡̜̲̯̙͚̬̪̫̳͕͜ ͏̷̡͓̼̫͓͔͎̻̫̜̲͓̝̯̙̪́f̷̴̠̖̜͕̟͡͡͞ͅį͠҉̳̘̣͖̺̞̀ǹ̡͎͎͕̝̘͚̼̯͈̀͝a̢̯̮͉͇̹͔̖̪̯̙̱̰̝̬͟͟͡l҉̱̣̮̥̻̻͍̮̝̞͕̞̯̦̺́̕̕l̵̨̹̞̬̭̤̙̘̝̪̰̞̻̕͘͡y̷̷̶̨̫͍̬̞̳̣͎̭̳͡ ̷̹̯̙̩̪̗͖͓͎̞̹͚͟͡͞ͅt̸̨̳̰͈̣̳̙̖̩̪̺̰̻͉͉͘͘͞į̴̛͖̝͕̱̬̀͡m̧͕͚̞̰̜̟̬͉̘̤̣͇͙̩̲̹̀́ͅe̵̬̯͈̩̪̩

'Finally time?' For what?

He fumbled with his phone until he managed to turn on the flashlight. He started to scan the area. He appeared to be in a large cave, the ceiling was far above his head, and it seemed that he was in a never-ending tunnel; mist was in the distance in both directions.  

How peculiar.

He started walking forward, waving his phone around each side to see.  He kept his mind on the mist, which shrouded any sort of view to what could lie ahead. He was determined to continue and find out whatever was hiding beyond the fog, but with each step, it seemed that the mist just moved forward with him, still keeping its distance.

As he continued down the long corridor, strange maze-like symbols slowly started to appear on the walls. They were barely visible, but soon started to come into focus. They seemed to radiate with a green color, like slime. It was like some sort of energy, racing along the walls.