Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I threw my five best shirts and two pairs of shorts into my small bag. I tiptoed into the bathroom and got my toothbrush, toothpaste and deodorant. I zipped up my bag, stuffed it under my bed and pretended to sleep.

I heard my parents’ door close and checked my watch. 12:36 am. I watched as the minutes ticked by and it became 1:00 am. I placed pillows under the covers, grabbed my bag and opened my window. We lived in a small bungalow so I hopped out, shut the window and left.

I walked down the road I grew up on and let a few memories slip into my mind. Playing with the neighbourhood kids, going out for ice cream, walking our dog. All that changed when dad lost his job. My mother had never had a full-time job. A few things here and there, but never anything permanent. We couldn't afford to keep our dog and had to give him to a nearby farm. My parents were so embarassed that they wouldn't let me play with the kids, they couldn't afford school anymore so I was homeschooled by my mom. Now, they'll be able to have a happier and simpler life without me.

I came to a gas station and realised how much I needed to go to the washroom, not to mention the food I would need later. I went in, got three bottles of water and a box of crackers. It was all I could afford with my life savings, $22.50. I then went to the cashier to pay. 

"Hello honey, what are you doing here so late?" The lady asked me.

"I needed some fresh air." I lied.

She wasn't easily convinced. "And whats all this?" She gestured to my 'food'. I could see a glimps of a smirk on her face.

"I...got hungry..." I trailed off.

"Allright." She finished putting my stuff in a bag and handed it to me. "Have a nice night." She said. I waved.

Before I left, I went to the washroom. As I was washing my hands, I thought about all the great times I've had with my parents, with and without money. They always gave me whatever I wanted. When I was six, I asked for a dog and they gave me a golden retriever. When I was sixteen, I asked for a car and they gave me an old beaten up pickup truck. It barely drove 2 miles without breaking down but it was still one of the best things my parents have ever done for me. 'How could I do this to them? How could I just leave them?' I thought. 'But it's too late now, if I go back, I'll never be able to live with myself. But how can I live with myself just leaving them.

My knees gave out and I fell to the ground. In a ball, I sobbed, not caring who heard.

                                                                              ~ Louis' POV ~

The bus jerked to the right, making Zayn fall to the ground. Moaning and rubbing his head, he joined me at the window. As I looked out, I noticed a small gas station. I ran down the stairs and bolted to the bathroom, followed by Harry. Liam, Zayn and Niall went to get snacks. Harry and I were talking and I completely forgot to knock. As I opened the door, I saw her. A girl, maybe around 16 or 17, crying in a ball on the floor.

She must have heard us as her head shot up and showed her bloodshot eyes and tear stained face. "Hi." I said. "Are you ok?" She screamed and I prepared myself for the usual, asking for pictures, autographs, maybe a twitter follow. She got up and ran. Harry opened his arms as she dashed past him and out onto the street.

We both followed her just as a big transport truck sped down the road. It was coming at her fast, too fast for her to move in time. I closed my eyes and awaited the scream. Instead, all I heard was a thump and a whoosh as the truck sped by. 

I slowly opened one eye, then the other. I saw Harry lying on the other side of the road, but no sign of the girl. Zayn, Niall and Liam ran out of the store.

"What happened?" Zayn asked.

"I don't know." I said, too shocked to move. Harry slowly moved and we all ran to help him up. He got up and there she laid, like she was sleeping, or something worse.

Picture of Charity (Photos)

A/N: Hey its Jess and Maddy! We are writing our first Fan Fiction together!! Hope you like it. Check out our book trailer. Link is on the summary page :)