Chapter 4

Mark's P.O.V.

        The familiar sound of the ambulance blasted into my ear. Thank freaking goodness. You always hear horror stories about car crashes, but you never think you'll ever be in one. I know I sure didn't. But here I was. Living it. Breathing it. And right when everything was falling into place, too.

        I bring my arms to a right angle and begin to lift my torso. I barely got up an inch before I felt horrific pain in my lower back. I cried out in pain. The floor and my face are immediately reunited. Frick, that hurt like heck.

        "Mark!" He yelled over the sound of the sirens, spinning around in the seat to look at me. It was clear by the expression on his face that he was no longer actively trying to conceal his panic. "Are you okay? What hurts? Don't move." He stutters, stumbling on each syllable.

        I didn't have time to reply because at that exact moment we heard steps running through the gravelly ground that bordered the road. Out of the corner of my eye I see Amy wince, trying not to hide her what must have been immense pain. I had seen her head begin to speed toward the rear climate control. It had to be killing her.

        Before I could try to say something to comfort her, I hear a sound that I'd heard far too many times in horror games. The sound of metal scraping against metal that could only mean that only bad things were in store. But, as I twist my head, careful not to move my back, I realise this was not the case. It was the exact opposite. I make out yellow tips of what I can only describe as a metal sort of jaw. They open and close as they chop through the door of the car with such fluid movements you'd think they were slicing through butter. I could hear it happening all around the car.

        After a few minutes of these jaws making their way through the car, creating a rather spacious exit. Ethan attempts to hold Chica, but fails and she ends up jumping over me to get out. The EMTs make a clearing and she runs over to the nearby trees instantly distracted by a squirrel off in the distance.

        I turn my head back so that Amy is all I see. There was an equally large opening on her side of the car. The sun was so bright behind her that it framed her silhouette and complimented her gorgeous bleached blonde hair in such a way that she looked like a literal angel. More so than usual, that is.

        I'm ripped from my thoughts when a shooting pains travels from my lower back as the EMTs begin to unfold my legs from under me to transport me to the gurney. The strong, unexpected pain brings forth a full bellied roar. It was tantalizingly loud. Sorry Amy.

        The workers immediately let go and try a different approach. I feel hands on my shoulders and soon they begin to slowly lift my torso away from my knees. But again, it hurts like I cannot describe. I groan in pain and they again pause. The workers place me back down. I hear them form a new plan, this one involves Ethan.

        "Excuse me, sir," one addresses Ethan, "could you lift this man from your end as we lift him from ours?" I assume he agrees because soon enough I'm in the air. The pain was still there, but was much more manageable. I am placed on the gurney and within no time we are flying across the ground.

        I remember seeing the scene of the crash fly past my line of sight. The sheer carnage was jaw-dropping. There was parts of the two cars everywhere. You couldn't look anywhere within a 20 foot radius without seeing a piece of what was once a car. People surrounded each of the vehicles, assisting each of the passengers.

        We were approaching one of the ambulances when the gurney bounced. I fall back down to Earth. Pain scorched through my body and everything went black.