Prologue

Something happened to me. I can't tell you what, I don't remember. I only know, it happened there, at Asylum Manor, a place I frequented as a little girl, when the dogs would be rounded up to go find prey for the men to bring back for sport and food, then women in the sitting room's enjoying tea, gossiping even though they would pretend not to, an estate that was always sunny and full to the brim with life, where my shy demeanor was welcomed and cast aside as I played with my cousin Daniel.

It's somewhere I remember being happy, however that's not true anymore.

It's in the year 1889, 5 months since my last visit, when the doctors said I was unfit to be home and needed care after an incident that nobody seems to know much about or even acknowledge happening.

I'd stay in my bed at the hospital, pondering my circumstances and wondering how it developed into me being stationed and locked away in a visibly cheery establishment, but hardly the place I needed to be. Asylum Manor was the key that unlocked all my questions, I knew as much, it was inescapable, however I didn't want to go back.

Every night I'd stay awake, almost afraid that something was going to come and get me. My appetite deteriorated and memories never returned no matter how much I wanted them to. If there was a secret about myself that would explain all these emotions of uncertainty and sorrow that I didn't see a reason to have, I'd welcome any truth, be it unhappy or something I wanted to forget, I want to remember now.

It was when I was at last asleep in my bed, all the nurses had turned off the lights, my room was vacant except for the few girls who couldn't leave and had to rely on bed pans and nurses to care for them, I the exception even though I didn't know what I was really in the hospital for, that sleep was usual, like prior nights where it came difficult but kept me between wide awake and slumber, I finally felt myself drop into a black sea of unconsciousness.

I saw a usual image.

Myself staring at a face beheld by my cousin, Daniel, not a man, still a boy, with me the same age, however we were not alone. In the many acres where we played, it was as if there was somebody else, voice altered and muffled to the degree I couldn't make it out. The sun was to their backs, an obscure presence that made my stomach churn with sickness that something would burst out of my mouth.

I woke up coughing that night; sure my lungs would rip themselves apart because of their uncontrolled fit.

It was then that I discovered that with my memory that was lost, I gained a phantom that dwelled in my thoughts, but originated at Asylum Manor from an event that I don't remember.

Whatever happens next in my life, I know I can't proceed without trying to find the truth that has been misplaced. It's there, waiting for me to come back and find it.

I know something is missing, something important, something vital that completes me as a person, but I don't know what.

What is it?

What don't I remember?

What escapes me?

What did I lose?

What happened at Asylum Manor?