Monica

“Oh, hey mom.” Cole replied coolly, flashing her a relaxed smile. She simply raised one eyebrow in silence and looked toward me.

Realizing I was still in Cole’s lap, I scrambled off my face flushing a deep crimson as realization dawned on me. I’d just made out with Cole Hays despite all of my willing myself not to do it. And worst of all, his mother had caught us. She’d probably send me back home to study for the rest of the summer with my parents.

“I’m rea-” I started.

“I can’t believe this finally happened!” She squealed, clapping her hands together. My mouth dropped open in shock and I looked to Cole, his face a mirror image of my own.

“I- er, what?” I mumbled, trying to come up with the right words to voice my confusion.

She was okay with us? That must have been what she was up to, she knew being in such close proximity I would have to talk to him. I mean, she probably expected a nice hug but there Cole was still shirtless.

I could feel the urge to drool over-coming my common sense, forcing me to tear my eyes from his bare torso back to where Mrs.Hays was standing still grinning like it was christmas morning.

“My mom’s officially insane.” Cole remarked, making a face at her as he stood up and held out a hand to help me. I hesitated, but his touch was too tempting and I found myself reaching out to grasp his hand in my own.

He pulled me up, my body thudding against him. I let out a little sigh, hoping he hadn’t heard me but the smirk that showed up on his face proved otherwise.

“Not insane, sweetheart.” She disagreed, patting her son’s cheek affectionately as he passed leaving me alone with her.

“I think we need to have a little chat.”

Oh, shit. It was going to be one of those “I love you, but if you hurt my son.. well I’m not opposed to killing you and making it look like an accident when they find your body mauled by giant rats in the woods” talks.

I held up a hand. “Hold on. I need to say something first.”

She nodded, indicating that I should proceed. Taking a deep breath, I let it all out in one big rush. “I know you don’t want Cole to get hurt again, and I completely understand that and it must be completely weird for you to randomly see us- er making out. But I didn’t want to have all these feelings for him, and the more time I spent around him the more prominent they became and it turns out I really do like him. It was completely unexpected for me, too.” I choked a little as I finished, trying to inhale.

“Oh, honey.” She sat down on the top step, patting the spot next to her. “Have a seat.”

I hesitated where I stood, wondering if she was hiding some sort of weapon under her “I heart NY” tshirt, but sat down all the same. It wasn’t like I could refuse.

“Now, I know you always thought Cole was just a bad kid. I also know you’ve always wanted to go to Harvard, and you thought he could jeopardize that.” My mouth opened in shock, I sat there gaping at her for at least five minutes. She’d basically just laid out the entire situation despite the fact that I’d never spoken to her about any of it, I’d barely spoken to Alex.

“How...” I trailed off, confused.

“I’ve known you for years, Taylor. And I know Cole. I see the way you two look at each other. If being together makes you happy, it shouldn’t matter what happened in the past. He’s really not a bad guy, I promise.” Mrs.Hays nudged my shoulder with her own, chuckling softly.

I stood up, intending to find Cole and decide for sure what I wanted to do. “Thanks, Mrs.Hays.” I smiled, leaning down to hug her tightly.

“It’s Kathy, I’ve told you.” She rolled her eyes, looking back into the attic. “I suppose I could finish up here so you can go talk to the boy.”

“Thank you, I’ll come up after to help!” I skipped down the stairs, nearly slipping at the bottom in my haste.

I found the man in question in the garage, hunched over the open hood of his beloved car.

“Cole?” His head popped up, smacking off the hood.

“Urngh.” He grunted, rubbing the bump.

“Oops.” I giggled, covering it up with a cough when he shot me a glare, but it quickly morphed back into a smile.

“So, what can I do you for?” He winked, closing the hood and leaning back against the front bumper.

“Thanks for leaving me to the wolves!” I moved to hit him in the arm, but with a movement so fast I didn’t even catch it he had grabbed my arm and pulled me so that we were chest to chest. I gasped a little at the sudden proximity.

“What was that?” He chuckled, leaning down to meet my lips with his own.

I tangled my fingers in his hair, standing on the tips of my toes to deepen the kiss when - yet again - Kathy interrupted, white faced.

“Uh, Cole. You have a visitor.” She looked at me, and shook her head a little before turning and leaving the garage.

He looked a little worried, but took my hand and led us out into the evening. The sun was setting, giving the lake an orange tint. I was so busy admiring the sunset that I didn’t noticed Cole had frozen and bumped into his back.

Peeking around, all I saw was a girl with short red hair and a smile. Her makeup was heavy, but her Nirvana t shirt and guitar case told me she was a musician.

“Monica..” He whispered, eyes wide.

“Cole!” She chirped in a thick british accent.

I frowned, noticing Kathy had gone back inside. Who was this girl?

At that moment Alex pulled up, hopping out of the passenger seat of a dark-haired guy’s car. She stormed across the yard and got up into the girl’s face.

“What are you doing here, you bitch?” She spat. I gasped a little at Alex’s hostility.

Talen got out of his car, eyebrows furrowed in confusion at the drama unfolding.

“I came to see my boyfriend.” Monica deadpanned, pushing Alex out of her way. Only, she didn’t let herself get pushed around, Alex turned around and kicked the girl in the back of the knee, effectively knocking her down.

“Alex, what the hell!” I gasped, moving to her side. “Talen help me.” I nodded to her date. He moved and grabbed her other arm, pulling her off the angry looking girl.

“You’ll regret that, slut.” Monica sneered, sitting up and straightening herself out. Cole was still staring in shock.

“Alex, calm down.” I pleaded as she struggled.

“No! That’s the bitch that almost lost me my brother!” She screeched, breaking free and lunging at the other girl. Talen moved to grab her, but I stopped him.

“No, let her.”