Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Jazmyne

Once we made our way out of the woods there was a black Ford F150 parked along the outskirt of the forest. Noah walked to the truck and reached inside the bed, getting some clothes. He grabbed a pair of shorts and handed them to me. When I looked at them he laughed.

"These are my clothes and my truck. I promise I'm not stealing anyone's ride. I was coming from town when I decided to go for a run. I parked here. It's strange that I picked this spot because I live on the other side of these woods." He went on to explain further.

"Thanks." I took the shorts and pulled them on.

Noah pulled on a pair of jeans and a black beater before he stepped into some black Timbs. It was that moment I realized he didn't have on any shoes.

Perplexed, I stared at his feet. "You run with no shoes on?"

Laughing, he shrugged. "Yeah, I was born running barefoot. Hard habits die hard, I guess." He shrugged. "Come on." Noah opened the passenger door for me and I got in.

When he opened the door, he reached under the seat and grabbed his keys, then hopped inside.

My brows furrowed, but I didn't say anything. Noah was strange in a weird way. But weird was good to me. That was how folks made me feel my whole life, except for a few people, so, weird was okay to me.

"Docteri is kind of strange but you don't have to worry about him, I promise, he's friendly." He told me as he pulled off.

I nodded my head and folded my arms around myself as I tried to get comfortable.

***

Docteri, who insisted that I called him Doc for short. He stared at me strangely before he pulled Noah to the side and started whispering to him about something. Noah glanced up at me and his eyes squinted. They both then turned back around and looked at the two x-rays.

I cleared my throat, getting their attention. "Is it really bad?" I feared to hear the worse.

Doc removed his glasses and let out a forceful laugh. "No, no. It's not bad at all. Actually, it's quite remarkable to say the least." He walked over to me and handed me the x-rays.

I looked at them both and saw the crack in my ribs. I was beyond baffled. "How are broken ribs remarkable?"

"You're talking and breathing without wincing." He pointed out, before taking the x-rays from me. He sat them on a rack and turn on the lights. "If you look here," he pointed to the picture on the left. "You can see how apart the bone is from one another." He then went to the right picture. "On this one the bone is closer to the other. It's like the bone is regenerating back together. Which is strange but remarkable." He explained as if he was amazed.

The way he stared at me showed his fascination.

"What origin are you?" He asked.

My mouth opened, then closed. I've never been asked that question before. "Umm, I'm from Black Wood—"

"No, what origin are your ancestors originally from." He rephrased his question as he wiped my face.

"I don't know. My mom was born and raised here. As was her mother. But what does that have to do with my bones healing so quickly?" A part of me was glad that he noticed my fast healing process. Because I couldn't understand it myself.

"That's what I'm trying to find out." He stared at the white cloth in his hand. He then showed it to me. "Even the burns you had, has healed and that's impossible for someone like you. Have you always been a fast healer like this?" He asked me.