[Fourteen]

"Maybe, like, nature?" I waved my pen around, throwing out ideas to Jack.

Jack sighed, a little frustrated but trying to hide it. "No, he's probably gotten nature over a thousand times. Keep thinking."

I sighed, picking up a cookie and sinking my teeth into it. "Ummm..."

Jack waited for a minute, but I had nothing. He sighed, shutting his notebook. "How about we go clear our heads?"

I put down the pen on the dark green blanket. "How?"

Jack jumped up, motioning my to come with him. I stood up, following him out of his room. We stayed quiet as we made our way down the stairs, trying not to wake up Jack's mother. Jack led me outside and we began walking down the street.

"Jack, where are we going?" I looked around, it wasn't crazy dark out yet, but the sky was a dark blue and the moon was bright. Stars littered the sky, and the soft sound of crickets was calming amongst the quiet.

Jack walked next to me, his usual smile on his face. "To the park, to clear our heads." I nodded, continuing to walk along.

Soon enough we were sitting in swings next to each other, staring at the stars. It was quiet, but it was peaceful.

"...you know, there's something strange about you, Mark." I looked over at him, only to find him still staring at the heavens above. "I've only known you for, what? A week?" His foot skid across the dirty mat beneath him, pulling him to a stop completely. Even in this light, I could see his cheeks turn a little pink. "And I already feel like...like I've known you for years." He looked over at me finally.

In this moment, it was just us. "You're...a good guy, Jack." I stared down at the ground, my heart pounding. "Thank you, for being here."

"I'm here for you, you know that, right?"

"I...know."

It was silent for a minute. "...is...everything okay with you, Mark?" Jacks voice was soft.

I looked up at him, biting my lip. I looked back up at the sky. "...Not...really. No." He stayed silent, waiting for me to go on. "About..." I sighed. This was hard. "About two months ago, my dad died."

The air was deathly still, and Jack swing stopped creaking. I heard him stand up, and moments later I felt him hug me. I melted into his embrace, really really needing it. I stood up, letting Jack's head rest on my shoulder as we rocked back and forth. "I'm so sorry, Mark. I had no idea," Jack whispered against my skin.

I wasn't gonna cry, I was done crying for him. So instead I just held Jack against me like he was my lifeline, he was the only thing keeping me together. "It's no ones fault, he just...he was too sick. I just...miss the guy." Jack sniffled, his arms still wrapped around my neck and my arms around his waist. "Hey, don't cry..."

Jack sighed, sniffling again. Though he didn't pull away. He lifted his head, looking me in the eyes. We were very close, and I could feel his breath against my skin. "You wanna know why I'm so nice to people?"

I closed my eyes, letting his head rest against my chest as we rocked back and forth again. "Why?"

"I wanna go to college," his voice was soft and tired. "It's my dream to go to college, no one in my family ever has and I wanna be the first." He sniffled again. "Being nice makes life easier, people are more willing to help you along."

"You'll go to college," I ran my fingers through his hair. "You're a smart kid."

"It's not enough, Mark," he sighed. "There's a race, at the end of the year. For people like me, people who run. If I win I can get a lot of money, I can go to college." He looked up at me. "I'm just...so stressed."

I looked down at him, my eyes soft. "I believe in you, Jack..." we stared into each other's eyes for a moment, and slowly we started leaning in.

But just as we were about to kiss, I heard a rustle. I pulled back, looking over at the tree line. Jack looked too, then back at me, his cheeks burning up. I bit my lip, letting go of him. "Let's go back to your house, I'll ask if I can stay over."

Jack nodded vigorously, grabbing my hand and leading me away from the park.

•••

"Thanks mom." I pulled the phone away from my ear and hung up, looking over at Jack. He was laying on his bed, avoiding eye contact with me and mindlessly nibbled on a cookie.

I sighed, tossing my phone on his floor. "I can stay over."

"Hm." Jacks cheeks flushed pink.

I raised an eyebrow, crossing my arms. "Where do you want me to sleep?"

Now his cheeks were red. He grabbed another cookie. "I-I g-guess h-here? U-Unless you want to s-sleep on the floor, or I can sleep on the f-floor. I-it's not big deal-"

I laid down next to him, wrapping my arms around him. He instantly shut up, though I could tell he was tense. I sighed, laying my head on the back of his neck. "I don't know what happened earlier, but can we just lay down and go to bed? Please?"

"O-Okay." I laid down fully, and Jack laid down next to me. I wrapped my arms around him, becoming the big spoon. He relaxed, sinking back against my chest. "I-Is this okay?"

I nodded, turning off the lamp on his bedside table and pulling him close. "This is fine, we can...talk about this in the morning."

"Okay...night Markimoo."

"Night Jackaboy."