Chapter 8: The Final Battle Approaches

"Oh no...." said Mario, as he and the team looked forward at Toad Town. It was barely visible, with black vines and an eerie dark fog covering most of their view. "This is terrible! Our friends are in there! I'M GONNA SPINDASH WHOEVER DID THIS SO HARD!" said Sonic as he looked at the darkness in pure disgust. "M-m-m-m-mama mia....er, uh, Mario! Why don't you and Sonic go ahead, and we'll uh, look around elsewhere!" stuttered Luigi in fear. "Good idea bro! Sonic, letsa go!" said Mario, as he jumped down the hill and Sonic ran after.

-

As the red and blue duo reached the town, they encountered a swarm of Dark Koopas. Mario got right to doing what he does best, stomping, while Sonic spindashed in to a row of them. A Dark Koopa managed to tackle Sonic, and 20 more of them followed. "LITTLE HELP, MARIO?" yelled Sonic, and Mario grabbed the tail of one of the Dark Koopas. He began swinging it around and around, before launching it in to the pile, knocking all the other Koopas away. "Thanks Mario...but there are more coming! We gotta get outta here!" said Sonic as he pulled out a Chaos Emerald. "CHAOS....CONTROL!" he yelled as they were transported in to the castle. "Whew! Kinda hard to do that when I'm not super, but hey, we made it inside!" said Sonic as they gazed at the castle halls. Dark fog and black vines nearly covered all of what little there was left to identify that this was indeed Peach's castle. They hurried down the halls, jumping over the vines and passing through corridor after corridor to reach the throne room. As soon as they arrived, they stared in shock.

Everyone was trapped in cages made of dark energy, hanging from the ceiling. Luigi, Yoshi, Blaze, Shadow, Geno, Rosalina, Bowser, Eggman, Egadd, Tails, Peach, everyone they could think of was there.

On the throne, sat the Dark Star.