Chapter fifteen: The end of silence

"We haven't been like this," I said to Davin.

"I know."

"But why?"

"Don't ask, Kathleen. Don't ask questions and you won't hear lies."

The silence and the darkness of the room were broken by the ring bell. We stood talking in the bed with the lights turned off.

"Who might be?" I asked pretending that I don't know who might be. I knew it was Mark. I secretly agreed with him to take me with him in South Korea when he leaves for a short vacation.

"I don't know," said Davin with a bored voice.

"Hush... I know."

Silence. The doorbell again.

"Do you really wanna go with him?" Davin asked knowing my plan. He knew everything, my every move, my every plan.

"Why not? This is my only chance."

"Don't do it!"

"Why, Davin? Why? Why" I cried raising my voice hysterically. I fetched the collar of his shirt and shook him. "Why? Tell me!"

"You have my house," he said, and make me release his collar by pushing my arms aside.

"So what? It's not mine."

"Consider it to be yours."
"Davin, I speak here about a real situation, not a hypothetical one. I'm sick of lies."

"I won't let you go, Kathleen, I won't!" he whispered and kissed my forehead. How much I hated being kissed on my forehead. He whispered those words but I felt in his voice the anxiety, the fear of losing me, maybe forever, and never see me again.

It came a moment when I could not live there anymore, in Phoenix with Davin, I could not go back either in Oakes, Kansas, Sacramento or else in this country. I had to leave. I was a sinner, I killed in an indirect way my both parents. Davin accepted me because he was lost like me. He was no better than I. Life must have changed. I had to take that step.

The bell rang again. I rose up from the bed.

"Stop! Don't answer!" cried Davin. I didn't listen to him and I proceeded to open the door:

"Mark," I exclaimed.

"Hey, Kathleen... What are you doing here in the darkness?"

I forgot to switch on the lights.

"Sorry, we were having a meditation," I joked when Davin came and turn on the lights.

"Ready?" Mark asked me.

"I think I am..."

"She's not," interfered Davin angry. "She won't leave this country, Mark. On my word. And trust me if you take her away, I swear I won't work under your label anymore, and you won't work ever."

"Hey, Davin... it's her choice. She needs to go..."

"Over my dead body," Davin yelled.

Mark was confused. I packed my stuff before that day, Davin didn't know, he was gone from home. My luggage consisted of some few clothes and nothing more besides money, even though I hid it, Davin guessed. I was standing there in the living room looking at them quarreling.

"She can't stay in your house forever. She needs freedom, do you know what is that? A thing you didn't give to her. Man, she needs a life, a job. What did you provide her? Huh?... You've locked her here and told her to pretend it is her home," Mark continued to fight for my rights. He knew better my needs.

"And you would provide her with a new life? Tell me, son of a bitch. What would you do for her? Where will she work there?" Davin became outrageous.
"We will see that."

"See, Kathleen. This is how is it made a plan?" Davin turned towards me.

"Stop it! Just stop, both of you!" I raised my voice. "I depend on none of you. I have failed and I will get up on my own. I will change my life with none of your help.

At that moment I made up my mind. The future was in my own hand and in my own mind. I was decided to leave somewhere where none of them could find me, and search for opportunities to improve my life and my career.

Life begins where fear ends.