Fortune.

I joined in with my friends’ laughter as we sat in the middle of the restaurant. We were all currently enrolled in NYU, and after a long day of nothing but exams, a few of us decided to go out to dinner at the small Chinese restaurant just a block away.

 “Sometimes the most obvious answer is not always the best.” My closest friend, Hayley, read from her fortune cookie.

"Then I should really stop picking ‘C’ when I don’t know an answer to a question.” Helena, my twin sister (who was the most annoying person in the world) responded before reading her fortune. “Friends are like chocolate chips. It is good to keep them close by.”

 “Why does she always get the good fortunes?” I exclaimed, unrolling my fortune cookie. “I mean, look at mine! It says…” I trailed off, reading my fortune to myself. A look of horror must have spread across my face, because Hayley immediately butted in.

 “Diana, what’s wrong? Did you get a creepy fortune?” She asked. “I bet some of the workers must have put in really creepy ones because it’s Friday the 13th. Here, let me read it.” She reached for my hand.

 “No!” I said a bit too loudly, causing other customers to glare at us. I cleared my throat. “Uh, my fortune is… you will encounter, uh, great difficulties in the near future.” I lied. Well, it was partially true.

 “Boring! You should totally stop being so anti-social. I once read that your fortune reflects on how you actually act. I always get fun and exciting ones because I’m… well… fun and exciting!” Helena squealed. Yeah, and annoying, I thought to myself.

 “Anyways, we’re all going to Gloria’s place for the night. Come with?” Hayley asked.

 “Uh, I’m good, thanks. I’m really tired, and I’m probably going to have to re take some of those tests, so I should really get studying.” I said, making an excuse that was partly true, so I didn’t have to go.

Helena rolled her eyes. “See, this is what I’m talking about when I say you’re anti-social. When I get back, you better not still be watching Netflix on the couch.” I mumbled a 'whatever' as they left the restaurant. I looked around, making sure no one was looking over my shoulder. I unrolled my fortune cookie and read it once more.

 “Your life is in danger. Tell no one. You must leave the city immediately, go where they can’t find you. Take only what you need. I repeat, tell no one.”

I sighed. Hayley was right, it was probably just a cruel prank one of the workers played on a few customers every Friday the 13th. Nothing to worry about. I stood up, grabbing my coat and phone as I left the restaurant. The cold December air made me shiver as I zipped up my coat. I was about to shove my phone in my pocket when it buzzed with a new text, from a blocked number. Curious, I unlocked my phone and stared at the screen.

 “I can see you. Look alive, sweetheart.”

Haha, very funny, Helena. She was probably just teasing me about it being Friday the 13th. She always knew I was a bit superstitious, and she loved seeing me get scared. I shrugged it off and continued walking down the street. It was easy to get lost in the sea of people that normally roam the streets, but it was later at night, and the absence of the crowds crept me out just a bit. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket again. I rolled my eyes, suspecting it to be her again. Why can’t I just have a normal sister?

I pulled it out, seeing a text from Hayley, asking me if I was sure I wanted to be alone again. I typed a quick reply, saying I was fine, and to tell Helena to cut it out. She replied almost immediately, asking what I was talking about it. Of course Helena she got Hayley onto the joke too. But what if it wasn’t just a joke? What if it was real? Once again, I shrugged off the thought as I turned the corner. An ATM on the side of the street caught my eye.

I approached it, cautiously. What if it was all real? What if I truly was in danger? If I were to leave town, I wouldn’t want whoever ‘they’ was following me. I swiped my credit card, and took out a lot of money. If I was going to be on the run, I needed it. Credit cards were traceable, cash was not. I didn’t take it all out, in case it was all just a joke. Snap out of it, Diana! Of course it was all just a joke! But it was too late, the cash came out of the ATM. I sighed and grabbed it from the tray, and stuffing it into my bag. I walked down the street to my apartment. Just as I entered the building, I received yet another text.

I opened it, but it was just a picture of an hourglass. What? I opened it and tried zooming in, seeing if there was some hidden writing or something. Nothing. Just as I was about to put my phone away, I got another text.

 “Time is ticking.”

I blinked a few times as I tried to shake the thought of this all being real out of my head, but it still lingered with me. I was just being paranoid, I needed to cut it out. It was just Helena, she knows I get like this after watching a scary movie or something. I bet if I went to Gloria’s, she’d make us watch Friday The 13th. This was just her back up plan. I ran up the steps to my apartment and quickly unlocked the door. As I walked in, I nearly tripped over the stack of newspapers at my door. That was weird, they usually only come on Sundays weekends. I picked them up as I shut the door behind me. I read the headlines.

 “College Student, 18, Found Dead In West Side Apartment”

“NYU Student Found Shot Dead on Friday the 13th”

“Friday the 13th Killer on the Loose”

I dropped the papers in shock. These were all dated December 14, 2014, which was tomorrow. There was no way Helena could have done this. She never had the time. I skimmed through the other stories, they were all real. My phone buzzed yet again, and I almost fell backwards out of shock.

“Have you heard the news that you’re dead?”

That was it. There was no way this could have been faked. The texts, sure, at first. Helena could have stalked followed me home, knowing exactly when to text me. The fortune cookie, she couldn’t have done that, unless she bribed a worker. But the newspapers, no way.

I sprinted to my bedroom and grabbed my backpack. I hesitated for a second, considering what I would need. I shoved as many clothes in it as I could fit, which ended up just being a few shirts, jeans, and a pair of sweatpants. I changed from my heels into my sneakers, and put on a sweatshirt under my coat. I would definitely need those. I grabbed my laptop, laptop charger, and phone charger and stuffed them in there, too. I ran to the kitchen and packed a few waters and as much food as I could. I put my cash and wallet in the front pocket. I took out my phone, and sent a text to both Hayley and Helena. Just one simple word that would make sense if I either lived or died.

“Goodbye.”

I turned off my phone and threw it in my bag, as I turned around. My forehead came into contact with a cold, metal object. The circular barrel pressed harder into my forehead as I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Time seemed to move slower as I felt the pressure of it increase. This was it, this was the end.

And I heard the shot go off.