~One~

Mary Hogart grew up with an alcoholic abusive father and a drug addict mother. Mary got a chance of a lifetime when Charlie Carmon entered her life. Charlie Carmon was a police officer who had helped her after hearing her parents fighting with her. Before then she had been abused often by both her parents. Charlie Carmon found her home with Archie Simpson.

Mary feels bad every day that her brother couldn't be saved either, but Jay hadn't wanted help, so instead only Mary got a new place to stay. Archie hadn't even wanted to adopt, but when his good friend Charlie told him about Mary, Archie knew he had to take her in.

The first time they met Archie and Mary grew close. She was a very shy, quiet, and lonely girl, but she was so warm hearted and brilliant. Archie recognized this right away in her and agreed to take her in for the time being, but only a month after taking care of her he adopted her. She's been living with Archie for over five years now and he was the closest thing she had to a parent, that she ever had.

"So, dad, what's the big deal about this weekend?" This weekend was the high school reunion of Archie and so Mary was going to be hanging out with the same people who are watching Archie's best friend's daughter, Angie. Mary has been babysitting Angie since she was nine and have grown to really like the little girl. 

"It's my high school reunion this weekend, Mary." He explains to her as they walk down the hall.

"Hmm, will it be fun?"

"I hope so." Archie smiles. "Sorry, we can hang out tonight, kiddo." Mary gives a shrug to Archie.

"It's okay, dad. I don't mind hanging out with Joey's parents and Angie. They're really nice." Archie chuckles. Mary is helping Archie get ready for the reunion today, which is why she's at the school today.

"You know, Mary, I want you to try and make friends once school starts. I know it's hard for you, but this is your 7th grade and you're going to the big school." Mary glances up at Archie as he says this. "Can you try to make some friends this year for me."

"It's not easy for me, dad.... I'm shy."

"I know, sweetheart, but I can't keep helping you make friends by introducing you to my friends' kids.... I mean Angie is only four." Mary nods and looks down at her feet.

"I know, dad... I just... It's hard." Archie sighs and rubs her back.

"I know, but try. I'm sure other kids are just as shy." He says, causing her to nod as they go through the doors and start down the hall.

"I really hope you're Mr. Simpson." The two glance over to see kids around Mary's age heading for them.

"You planned this." Archie chuckles and looks over at three kids.

"I am," He tells them. "And you must be Emma." He says as he looks at the girl. "Wow, wow, wow, Spike found all this stuff? It's amazing." The kids set down the boxes as the dark haired girl looks at the blonde.

"Spike?"

"My mom's nickname." The blonde says. "Don't ask."

"And I can see fedoras are making a comeback." Mary stays quiet as she keeps her head down and stays close to Archie's side. Archie grabs the fedora from the boy's head and puts it on his own. "What you think Mary?" Mary smiles slightly as she looks up at him.

"I think Joey looks better with it." She says, her voice soft and gentle. Archie chuckles.

"Watch it, kiddo." He says in a teasing voice before turning to the other kids. "This is my daughter, Mary."

"Hi." The dark haired girl says. "I'm Manny."

"J.T." The boy says.

"I'm Emma." Mary gives a small smile before Archie nudges her.