Chapter 5

Chapter 05: A moment

Lauren’s POV

I began eating my cereal in silent. Monday has come and I know to face the current situation I am facing today in school. Today, the administrators will inject the small device to our body.

“Did you have a misunderstanding with Ally?” My mom questioned suddenly, managing to catch me off guard.

I avoided her gaze, “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I lied.

“She called yesterday,” she informed me, “She was crying and saying how she didn’t mean any words she had said to you.”

As much as I know that I should feel guilty for ignoring Ally, I just couldn’t. What she did last Saturday was worst than what Cabello did. Cabello’s words held a little power against me because she’s not important to me. She’s not my childhood best friend. She’s not the person I trust the most other than my family. She’s not the person who knew me better than I know myself. Ally is.

And that’s what’s painful in our fight. In this situation. Ally knew me like the back of her hand, and she dared to say those words to me. She dared to take the side of Cabello instead of understanding her best friend. She saw what happened last Saturday. But she acted like I was the monster. Like I was the one who caused the fight. Yes, I confess, I am partly to blame to what happened. But I wouldn’t have said those words if Cabello only shut her mouth the moment I said fuck her. But she didn’t.

I don’t know what part of my heated conversation with Cabello Ally had managed to missed, because when we talked last Saturday, it was as if, all she saw was me saying those words to Cabello, which irritates me to the fullest.

“We had a little misunderstanding,” I told my mom, glancing at my watch before standing up from my seat.

“Well, I think you should talk to her. This is the first time you had ignored Ally for two days because of a little misunderstanding,” mom suggested, looking at me worriedly.

I only gave a weak smile towards my mom before grabbing my bag. I got out of the house without saying goodbye to my mom or my siblings who are still in the house. I entered my car and drove away.

///

I rubbed my temples in distress as I leaned my back to my chair. I tried to suppress the urge to sleep in my Art class, but knowing that Ms. Findley is a pretty strict teacher (and I have a huge respect to her) I ignored my sleepy state and focused on what she was saying about Contemporary Art. I shut my eyes, taking a deep breath before opening them again. I shook my head in hopes of getting out of my sleepy state.

I never got a good sleep last night. My fight with Ally was one of the two reasons why I was having a hard time to sleep even though I was incredibly tired. The other reason was because of Cabello. I still don’t have any idea how to face her after what happened last Saturday. I know I shouldn’t stress myself about it, but my grade in my English class is on the line if Cabello and I’s treatment with each other continues.

I clearly have no idea where the bullshit game is heading. All I know was that they will inject us the device today. But I don’t know when or where it will happen. The speakers are all dead, and it’s actually gives me creeps because I wasn’t use to it.

Once we were dismissed, I stood up from my chair and made my way to my locker. I haven’t seen my two best friends, and I kind of have an idea why I haven’t. I think they were just avoiding me to stop their selves from asking about what happened between Ally and me.

I opened my locker and put my books there before closing it. I am currently heading to my English class and I know that seeing Cabello right now is inevitable. So despite my hesitation in entering my English subject, I still opened the door and entered, not expecting my classmates’ eyes on me.
But somewhere in the back of my mind, my subconscious tells me that my English class isn’t the same anymore.