Interview Transcript Part Two

Interviewee: Emma van Dyk

Detective: Melanie Lawrence

Part One of Recorded Interview

Date: October 27th, 2017

LAWRENCE: This is going to be a recorded interview. Remember that you are not a suspect in this investigation. You are a witness here to provide information. Do you understand?

EMMA VAN DYK: (softly) Yes.

LAWRENCE: Louder, please.

EMMA VAN DYK: Yes.

LAWRENCE: Please state your full name:

EMMA VAN DYK: Emma Marie van Dyk.

LAWRENCE: And you attend Altenview High School?

EMMA VAN DYK: Yes.

LAWRENCE: What grade are you in?

EMMA VAN DYK: Ninth.

LAWRENCE: Were you a friend of Serena Shields?

EMMA VAN DYK: (softly) Um, no.

LAWRENCE: But you knew her.

EMMA VAN DYK: I knew her. I mean, everyone knew her. She was one of those girls everyone wanted to be friends with. Obviously I knew who she was.

LAWRENCE: Ah. Would you said she was of a higher (pauses) social standing than you?

EMMA VAN DYK: Yeah. I guess. I mean, hers would have been above, like, everyone's. Even the juniors and seniors.

LAWRENCE: My cousin's a junior at Altenview. I believe you. Don't be nervous, Emma.

EMMA VAN DYK: Okay.

LAWRENCE: Would you say Serena sometimes abused this power? (pauses) You know, was she ever mean to others?

EMMA VAN DYK: Yeah. I mean, sometimes. But her friends... she was a good friend to them, I think.

LAWRENCE: Okay. Do you think it's possible that someone she was mean to could have retaliated?

EMMA VAN DYK: I don't know. Maybe. She did have a lot of enemies.

LAWRENCE: Was there anyone in particular whom she had a particularly... harsh relationship with?

EMMA VAN DYK: I don't know. No one specifically.

LAWRENCE: You're not in trouble.

EMMA VAN DYK: I know.

LAWRENCE: And you attended a party on the night of October 21st?

EMMA VAN DYK: Yes.

LAWRENCE: Did you see Serena there?

EMMA VAN DYK: (softly) Yeah.

LAWRENCE: Just in passing or did you interact?

EMMA VAN DYK: We... um, we interacted.

LAWRENCE: Where? Can you tell me about this interaction?

EMMA VAN DYK: It was... I saw her in the shed. She, well, she was kissing Liam Vega—

LAWRENCE: Liam Vega? Is he someone you know well?

EMMA VAN DYK: We... he was my boyfriend. At the time. (long pause) But I knew he had a thing for Serena. I wasn't all that surprised. After all, I'd only been with Liam for a week or two.

LAWRENCE: So then what happened?

EMMA VAN DYK: Um, I started... crying. And I left. I think I left. Then some other girls found me and they told me Serena was missing. They were freaking out. We all waited together for the police to come.

LAWRENCE: What happened in between?

(Long pause)

EMMA VAN DYK: I don't remember it that well. It wasn't that long. I mostly just stood around.

LAWRENCE: Okay. And who were these girls who found you? I'll need them to vouch for this.

EMMA VAN DYK: Um, Anneliese Carlton, Layla Prince. Alexandra Evans, I think.

LAWRENCE: Okay. Thank you. I just have one last question.

EMMA VAN DYK: Okay.

LAWRENCE: What do you think happened to Serena?

(Long pause)

EMMA VAN DYK: I'm sorry. I really don't know.

LAWRENCE: That's all right. That was a long shot.

EMMA VAN DYK: Okay. Um, should I go?

LAWRENCE: Yes. Have a good day, Emma.

Interviewee: Emerson de Castrava

Officer: Melanie Lawrence

Part One of Recorded Interview

Date: October 28th, 2017

LAWRENCE: This is going to be a recorded interview. Remember that you are not a suspect in this investigation. You are a witness here to provide information. Do you understand?

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: Yes.

LAWRENCE: Can you tell me about your relationship to Serena Shields?

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: She was one of my best friends. We had the kind of friendship that (sobs) that only comes once in a lifetime.

LAWRENCE: I'm so sorry for your loss, Ms. de Castrava.

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: Emerson.

LAWRENCE: Okay. So I can assume you were at the party with Serena on the night of October 21st?

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: No. We were arguing. I went to the party with Clare Brown. I saw Serena, though.

LAWRENCE: How would you describe this interaction?

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: I mean, we'd been fighting. So... I was mad at her. Oh, God, and then I told her to go away. If I hadn't... if I'd just stayed with her...

LAWRENCE: Do you need a tissue?

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: No. Sorry. I'm okay.

LAWRENCE: Were you at the crime scene when the officers arrived?

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: No. I waited with the others by the Davis' house. It was all sort of a blur.

LAWRENCE: Who waited with you?

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: Clare. Will Davis—it was his party. His sister, Elizabeth. Anneliese Carlton. Emma van Dyk, Rachael Bell, Layla Prince. Lexi Evans. Michael Lawrence—is he your brother?

LAWRENCE: Michael is my cousin. Continue.

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: That's it.

LAWRENCE: All right. Emerson, don't be worried. You're not a suspect. From what I know, Serena Shields was in a lot of arguments that night.

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: Listen. I think I know who hurt her.

LAWRENCE: You do?

EMERSON DE CASTRAVA: Yes. He was pretty much in love with her. She barely even looked his way. I think it was making him mad. I think he killed her.