5| stupid bracelet

It was an early Saturday morning when I was woken up by the fresh scent of my mother's key lime pie. There is always that one ingredient in each of my mother's recipe that gave a euphoric scent, like magic.

"Good Morning, honey!" she greets, handing me a platter with two slices of her key lime pie. "Tell me how that tastes."

I sat on the breakfast island, taking a piece out of the slice. Stupor from the astounding taste of her key lime pie, throwing you to a world of lime and unicorns. 'Wow' was the only word that could escape my lips.

"I'm taking that 'it's so amazing, I decided to shut up for once',"she mutters, passing me the whole platter of of the key lime pie. In the oven was a whole bunch of delicacies that is still baking. This is the advantage of having a birth-giver with a senseful taste in food.

"Mom, this is amazing. Are you putting this on your menu?"

"Yes, but I have yet to perfect the recipe."

I shook my head at her statement. "What are you saying?! It's perfect the way it is, woman." We both laugh.

Afternoon rolled by, I had to get ready for work. Connie's ice cream place is something I did as a sideline just to add some money to my mom and I's expenses. The house bills, schooling, groceries, loans. In a small Texas town, it's almost impossible to have a thriving business.

I took my bike to Connie's, saving the bit of gas I had left in my car. "Bye mom," I wave shutting the door behind me. Saturdays are for my mother's deli-adventure. Sundays to Fridays are her opening days.

Entering Connie's, where she'd waved "Aloha!" to me to which I replied, "Hey, Con!" Connie is a former Hawaiian resident, she moved to Texas to live with her boyfriend of 8-years.

I head to the back to change into the employees uniform which made me feel as if I'm in a tropical get away. Every employee in Connie's ice cream place was required to wear the spaghetti strap crystal-blue floral maxi and a white waist apron that she'd designed. Connie always had a some kind of flower behind her ear, she says it's her luck. But I don't believe in luck, I believe in you're your own luck.

Getting my notepad out, I head over to table number 12 to get the customer's orders.

"Hello, what may I-" my lips curl in disdain when the boy with green eyes had met my brown ones.

"Hello Marissa. Remember me?"

"Yes. Yes, I do, how can anyone forget the face of a walking-Satan." It was Kyle Sommers in his usual bad boy demeanor. A faint flare of rage in his eyes made me shiver. To say he looked like a rabid dog was an understatement.

"Thanks, for the awesome date by the way, you should really practice your left hook," Kyle sneered. "Anyways, I want a cone of rocky road with mini-marshmallow toppings, a bottle of water, and maybe you."

My brows furrow in anger, my fists formed into a ball. This boy knew which button to hit and I'm not liking it.

"Sunshine!" a cold familiar voice called out. "Come with me." Tyler King blocking the view of Kyle Sommers, dragging me out of my workplace.

"Whu- I was working! Jerk," I blurted at him, slapping his arm that was tightly clasped around my humerus. Why the hell is this guy not even slightly bothered by the pain I'm inducing him.

"There's a big difference between working and flirting." He snarls, pulling me to his motorcycle.

"Working or flirting, I am not going with you." I kick him on the shin loosening his grip off my arm. I take this to my advantage and stalk back into Connie's with a salty attitude.

"Alright, that leaves me no choice other than to hit send, then."

"NO, wait! Let me just say it's a family emergency." I turn around quicker than a vampire could bite into its prey.

He pulls smirk in reply, "That's what I thought," he lets out before I head inside to inform Connie. The stress in her face before I left made me want to stay and risk my own reputation, but thinking twice- it wasn't worth it. Connie's ice cream shop is barely busy, she can handle it alone.

A year is what it took me to get to my honourable position in Ember High, I am respected by almost everyone, the school staff knew me. I could feel college applications at my fingertips: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Colombia.

-

"Nincompoop, ass-wipe, son of a Wallaby, jerkface, fry-hai-"

"Will you shut up? your job is to look for it! Not to cuss me like I'd taken away your unicorn." Tyler King interjected my string of vocal description of every other boy.

"Excuse me? you were supposed to be helping." Tyler was sitting on a bench laughing at his phone screen as if he'd seen something funnier than Captain Jack Sparrow, while I had fished every locker for a certain bracelet, examined every corner and even moped around hopelessly.

Tyler and I had sneaked in through a small window entering the boy's  locker room. A wave of the smell of a bottle of Axe hit my nose, making me sneeze. I'd stuck toilet paper in my nose whilst looking for his bracelet.

"Spare me!" I yelled, arms spread apart. It's been at least 3 hours.

"Not until you give it up." Tyler King is really getting to my last nerve. How dare he blame me for his irresponsibility?

"Look here bone-headed dickface, spare us both the trouble and just admit on losing the damn bracelet. Check with the girls you slept with, maybe they took it. What would I do with a useless piece of bracelet owned by an ignorant imbecile like you?" I snapped.

His jaw clenches, his misty gray eyes revealed a hint of anger, and that was my cue to leave.

I run to the window 8-feet off the ground. Groaning as I jump to reach the high windows. Damn these walls!

"Give me a reason, not to beat you to pulp right now?" he growls, trapping me into the corner.

"Know that I will fight back no matter what, King." I stared at his anger-poisoned eyes, sneaking up to get behind him.

Something changed in his eyes as he sighs and rakes a hand through his brunette hair. He closes his eyes breathing deeply, "just go." He forfeited?