Chapter One

I start unpacking the boxes containing my clothes, hanging them up as I go. We had to move to Wilmont because of my mother's illness, It's getting worse.

I don't know what we would do if we lost her.

We got here at precisely 6:30 pm. We've moved 3 times already; to see the specialists our doctor back in Jordan recommended my mom to see. The new house isn't much. I have my own room and so does my brother, Noah. We share the bathroom which is aggravating; we had our own bathrooms at the last place we lived, but there is a door on both sides so we can get to it from our rooms.

Life's been rough since mom got sick. My dad has slowly been going crazy, but he's doing everything he can. My brother has been taking it pretty hard too he's cried himself to sleep every night since we moved two times ago; tonight's no different. It doesn't help that money is tight. I've started selling paintings and working part time jobs just to help pay for medical bills. I sigh, breathing in and out slowly, trying to blink back the tears I haven't even realized were pooling in my eyes.

I finish unpacking all the boxes. I take a look around the room and I feel proud of myself. I collapse on my bed and decide to rest my eyes. However, resting my eyes ended up being a 3-hour nap. I get out of bed not bothering to fix my hair; and trudge downstairs to see my dad drinking a bottle of beer.

"How's mom? Have you heard from the doctors?" I ask anxiously, grabbing some left overs from the meal dad just cooked. Dad's famous spaghetti; my favorite! Smiling I place some in a bowl.

"What do you think, Alura?" He says in a harsh tone. Slamming his hands down on the counter. My eyes widen; my dad quickly realizes his mistake. "I'm sorry, honey." He sighs, "I haven't slept all night." He admitted shamefully.

"Get some rest, dad," I suggested, I grab the bottle from his hands and shove him upstairs jokingly.

"Ok night, sweetheart." He smiled, kissing my forehead. "Night, daddy," I answer back and he disappears behind the door.

I head back downstairs, recycling the beer bottle, then grab my bowl of leftovers and start my journey to the couch. We didn't bother buying new furniture. Again, money was tight. I turn the TV on and surf channels. I stopped on a news channel and saw a guy who looked to be around my age avoiding people with mics running towards him.

"How do you feel to have inherited your father's company?" The news reporters question him. He looks really depressed and annoyed.

"It doesn't matter what I inherit. Don't you guys have something or someone else to bother? Who cares about the money. This is more than just that." He says nonchalantly in a knowing tone.

I turn the TV off thinking about what he was talking about. Poor guy. He seems misunderstood.

I clean up around the house, turn off the lights downstairs and run up the stairs feeling like something was going to catch my feet while I ran up the stairs. I reach my door and close it sighing contently now that I'm in the safety of my room. I strip out of the clothes I wore today and head into the shower in my bathroom.

I turn the shower on and wait for it to warm up. While I was waiting, I brushed my teeth and looked at myself in the mirror. I'm not the prettiest of the bunch and I have many imperfections that I wish I could change. Although, I have my mom's beautiful hazel eyes and her plump pink lips. I love those features of myself. I step away from the mirror and eye my stretch marks. Making a mental list about all my imperfections, I head into the shower. Sighing as I let all of the thoughts and stress wash away with the water.

I quickly clean up to avoid over thinking and head out drying my body off before slipping into Nike shorts I've had for 3 years; since I barely gain or lose weight. I slip into one of my brother's T-shirts and head into my bed to pull up YouTube. I scroll through videos till I find a new video of "Escape The Night with Joey Graceffa" I get comfortable and press play. Not really focusing on the video because I'm too busy over thinking about school tomorrow.