Chapter 17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

--------------------------------

Hayes' POV

Kam and I always used to joke around when we said we loved each other, but this time I truly meant it. I loved Kam.

Flashback(Hayes' POV)

Last summer, Kam and I went outside to mess around in the rain. We asked Lex but she didn't want to come. It was just us two. I was happy to be with Kam.

We walked down the street kicking water at each other, laughing. We went into a nearby ditch and threw mud at each other. She started laughing. I remember her exact face that day in the pouring rain. She threw a piece of mud right at my face and continued laughing. I ran towards her and full-on tackled her. I looked at her still-laughing face. I thought she was the coolest girl ever.

We got up and I gave her a ride on my shoulders to the park and we danced around like absolute fools. Eventually, we left and went home. When we said goodbye we hugged and she said,"Love you Hayes. See you tomorrow!"

I looked at her and smiled,"Love you too Kam!" I started heading back towards my house grinning. It was cold out but I didn't really mind because all I could think about was how interesting Kam really was. I started growing feelings for her.

Kam was easygoing and never had a care in the world. She was outgoing and spontaneous so we always had something exciting to do. I was always glad to be around her; she brought happiness with her everyday. We hung out all summer and my feelings kept growing, and growing, and growing.

When we went back to school she started talking to this guy named, Cody. Cody was the exact opposite of me. His hair was blonde and cut short with a little quiff in the front, his eyes were a light hazel color, and he was really popular.

They started going out and I was crushed. I thought she wouldn't hang out with me anymore and I still had feelings for her.

Kam didn't completely avoid me, we hung out sometimes, but she was always gone with him and his popular friends. I felt lonely. When we did hang out she acted insecure and shy. It was really weird, and it was not the Kam I remembered.

She started wearing a lot of makeup and perfume, she dressed immodestly, and straightened her hair every day. Kam's grades started dropping in school. She never paid any attention in class. The normal Kam was gone because of Cody.

One day she finally opened up to me and told me that Cody was controlling and making her uncomfortable. She wanted to break up with him. I helped her through all of it.

Flashback Ends

By now, I had realized that I was starting to get the Kam back I had last summer. The one who was throwing mud at my face and laughing uncontrollably. She was getting the happy Kam look back in her eyes. I realized all of this just by the end of the day, when we were laying under the stars together on the football field.

We were happy again.

I was scarred, but she was happy.