Chapter 1: Dylan's Perspective

I waited at the bus stop like any ordinary school morning. It's freezing out. 17 degrees Fahrenheit. Why am I still outside when I know the bus takes about 15 minutes to show up where I live? Well I don't know. Maybe because my mom got drunk last night, again. Ever since my dad left us, she has been getting drunk almost every night. I just don't want either of us to get killed because of her poor choices. As usual, at 7:45 a.m., my best friend Jade shows up in her mom's brand new 2013 black Impala. Jade has the perfect life. A lawyer for a mother, a paleontologist for a dad, and a therapist for a brother. All of them making good pay and super nice and supportive. She gets good grades, she's popular, and she's rich. Me: an alcoholic for a mother, a backstabber for a father, and a sex addict for a sister. Bad grades, a misfit, and poor. I think it's obvious who wins this round.

Jade gets out of the car and runs to me. "Hey Dylan! How was your Sunday?"

She should already know the answer. Judging by my mom not dropping me off at the bus stop and the bruise on my cheek. Only when I make it obvious, then she says, "Oh. I'm sorry."

"It's fine. Neither me or my mom care", I say trying to get off the topic.

"No Dylan! This has to stop. After school, you are coming to my house where you are safe. And Dylan, stop lying. You care deeply", she says with a wink.

I hated when she did that. Being the bigger person and trying to solve my problems.

"Jade, I don't th-", I started.

"No! You are coming and that's final", she said convincingly.

It's not that I didn't want my pride or ego squished. Its not like I had any of either one to be squished. Jade was wrong. If I went to her house today, she would've seen a scar or another bruise somewhere on my body the next day. The reason is because of her boyfriend, Chase. My mom doesn't abuse me. She doesn't have the heart to. Even if I do something wrong and when she's drunk. I just tell Jade my mom does it to protect Chase. It's true. I hate him, and I'm not nice to people I hate. I'm protecting Chase to protect Jade. She really likes him and I don't want her heart to be crushed just because he beats up an outcast like me. I never knew why he bullied me and I still don't know. When Jade's around, he acts so nice and innocent. He tells her that on every Tuesday and Friday at 3:45 p.m., he goes to a retirement home and sings to the elders, gives them their pills, etc. When really, he's jumping someone, drinking at a bar, or doing drugs behind an alleyway.

I sigh. "If it will make you happy", I said. "The I'll walk home with you".

She smiled. Ugh, that beautiful smile of hers. Yes, I like her. Whatever. Finally the bus shows up. We get on the bus together and there's Chase standing in the walkway of the bus with open arms just waiting for Jade to fill the space between his arms. Jade just doesn't know...