Memory Lane

Christina

I woke up to birds chirping.

Ah, what a lovely sound that was. Looking over at my phone, I realized I woke up 5 minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off. Laying there, I just stared at the ceiling. Events from yesterday woke me up right away.

Is he really here?

I got up in a flash and ran to my window. Well, I didn't exactly run...okay fine, I ran. I crouched down and got on my knees before pulling the curtain out just a little bit. I rose a little higher, just enough to be able to see a peak of the house.

Sure enough, there were 2 cars outside the house, along with all the garden utensils his mother used while doing some yard work.

He's really here.

I picked myself off of the floor and walked over to the bathroom. After I was finished with daily morning routine, I walked back into my room and started to look through my closet in search for an outfit for the day.

After a few minutes, I was ready and dressed in a light blue denim skirt, paired with a white off-the-shoulder top that had a layer of ruffles on the top and flowed down, which ended just above the skirt perfectly, and a pair of tan gladiator sandals that cupped comfortably around my ankles.

As for the makeup, same as usual. I put a light layer of mascara and a little concealer. And as rare as it was, I applied a small amount of lip gloss on my lips.

Turning around in my mirror one last time, I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs. The whole way down the stairs, I was giving myself a pep talk.

All I had to do was make sure I avoided seeing him or running into him, literally. The school was huge, so the chances of us running into each other was totally slim.

Yeah, I can avoid him. I can so do this. I got this alllll in the bag.

I was so caught up in my own thoughts, that I didn't even notice my mother coming up the stairs. And if she was coming up, and I was coming down....yeah that didn't go down well.

"Ow!" I yelled, while rubbing my arm.

"Oh, dear!" she cried out at the same time.

"Ohmygosh! Mum, are you okay?" I rushed over to her. I thought she would cry out in pain, or scold me for not being careful, but what happened next was completely unexpected.

She started laughing. Laughing.

The look on my face made her laugh even more. I was getting seriously concerned.

"Mum...are you okay?" I asked cautiously.

"I'm fine, dear, I'm fine," she said once she calmed down. "I should be asking you that question, instead of the other way around."

"Haha...," I rubbed my arm, a thing I do when I'm nervous or uncomfortable. "I'm fine! Just dandy!" said, a little too enthusiastically. Oh god, I sounded like a mouse.

Mum just chuckled. "Alright, my love. Breakfast is in the kitchen, waiting for you." she said as she went up the stairs. "I'll see you later, dear!"

I walked into the kitchen and ate breakfast like usual, although I couldn't help but feel that today would be anything but usual.

I finished breakfast and grabbed my bag and keys from the hall.

"Bye mum, love you!" I yelled as I shut the door. I looked over to Blake's house and scrambled inside my car faster than I could blink. I turned the car into ignition and drove to school with a weary feeling settling in my stomach.