Chapter One

(WARNING: This story contains suicide, depression, and a loss of a family member. If you are sensitive to these topics, I advise you read no further than this!)

I sat down in the front seat of the funeral. My short black hair looked messy and my dark eyes seemed lifeless. I had my gloved hands in my lap as I tried to hold back my waterfall of tears. She was actually gone.

I remember when I witnessed my sister taking away her own life. I was walking home with one of my friends on the sidewalk of a busy highway. Emily, my friend, suddenly stopped and was staring straight ahead at something with wide eyes. I was confused until I looked in her direction to see my sister on the railing.

She looked exactly like me, expect she had a beauty mark above her lip while mine was under my right eye. I could see that she was crying, yet smiling at the same time as she looked down at the busy road beneath her. She was about to fall forty feet to her death.

I quickly jumped into action and ran to her yelling,"Wait, Lucy, don't jump!"

I reached out to grab her hand, but I was too late.

She looked at me over her shoulder and said,"I'll see you soon, Lucile..."

She then leaned over and went flying straight to the concrete. I hunched over the railing with my arm outstretched to the ground. Tears fell down my face as I sobbed. I fell down to my knees and put my face in my hands.

Emily was just in shock. She quickly snapped out of it and fished for her flip phone in her backpack. When she got it, she dialed 911. I felt like I was holding something in my hand, so I checked to see what it was.

My dark eyes widened when I saw Lucy's bracelet in my hand. She made it herself, actually. It had a blue and white bead pattern and the word best on it. I had the matching pair that said "sister" on it.

I started to cry all over again and hugged the bracelet close to my chest while Emily tried to comfort me. That's why my whole family and friends are at this funeral. My sister just couldn't bare life anymore...or at least that's what everyone assumed. No one really knows the truth behind Lucy's death, and I guess we'll never know.

I looked up from my hand with her bracelet in it when my mother went up to talk.

"As you all know...m-my daughter, Lucy, was a very gentle and good girl. S-she always looked out for her little sister and her friends..."

My mother started to choke up, but she managed to get a few words out,"But never forget, she's still with us if we remember her. Though she may not...physically be with u-us, she's still family. I-I hope everyone will keep her in your prayers..."

My mother quickly walked off the mini stool and sat down next to me. We both looked at each other and hugged. It was a strong hug that expressed so many emotions: pain, misery, love, and happiness. We both cried on each other's shoulders, and soon after the funeral, everyone went home.

My family was the last to leave as we put more flowers on top of her gravestone. I placed her bracelet in front of the flowers before going to the car. The whole way home was silent. Father kept his eyes glued to the road.

His once neat black hair was messy and all over the place. His brown eyes that always seemed to be warm and welcoming now cold and dead looking.

Mother looked just as worse. Her brown hair was in a messy bun and tears were still visible on her pale cheeks. Her dark eyes were filled with tears as she examined the road as well.

I was looking out the window and watching the cars go by. My heart dropped when I saw the railing that my sister jumped off of. Memories of when we were younger and happy suddenly came up. I stared it as the car stopped because of traffic.

Then, I saw a blue hand grabbed the railing from the other side of it. I quietly gasped as I narrowed my eyes. Then, the person fully lifted themselves up. She looked exactly like me, except blue and see through.

Then, we met eyes and I saw the beauty mark above her lip.

I whispered in disbelief,"Lucy..."

She started to walk towards me, but the car drove away from her.

I gasped and said,"Hey, wait, I saw Lucy! I saw Lucy-"

Father said,"No you didn't. And stop making foul jokes like that, especially after your sister's...funeral."

I shook my head and said,"I'm not messing around! I swear I just saw her!"

They didn't respond though. They just kept driving. I put my window down and slightly stuck my head out the window to see her again, but she was gone.