Chapter 5

Chapter Five

"Is he still asleep?" I heard Zane ask.

"Yeah," my dad answered, his voice thick with emotion. "Mon bébé is asleep."

"Do you have him?" I felt myself being lifted into strong arms; I snuggled closer to the warmth, a loud, rhythmic sound lulling me into a deeper state of sleep.

"My Keiran has grown up. I do not know when I will be able to carry him again."

"The next time he gets drunk?" Pian said, almost too quietly for me to hear. My father chuckled, his chest vibrating in soothing synchrony. Car doors opened, I was passed to someone else, someone who smelled like paradise, a slight sting of aftershave, with soap and simple maleness. My hand was picked up and fingers laced through mine before it was dropped again almost immediately.

"I will go and warn the ambassadors of my son's power." Their voices were quiet, I had to strain to hear them.

"It's strong but uncontrolled."

"Yes. It is a good thing you found him when you did, Zane." An intake of breath.

"What are you talking about?" Data's voice.

"Look at his barriers, they hold his signature."

"That means he's—"

"Yes, he is the one." This statement from Zane made the pit of my stomach feel warm, as if my body knew something my brain did not.

"Merde." My father cursed. "That complicates things. I'll take my leave."

"Good luck, Raidon, and be careful with D'Deaux. Rumor is he's planning something."

"I know. I have heard the talk and my spies say as much." Fingertips caressed my cheek. "Take care of him while I am gone." I heard the sound of a door shutting then a car starting.

"What am I going to do with you, agápi mou."

I feel lips caressing my fingertips before my consciousness was gone.

Strange, I never thought waking up in strange arms would almost be...comforting. Gentle arms lifted me from the warm crevice I was snuggling in only to set me down on cold leather. I shifted awake, blinking as I tried to figure out where I was.

"Kei, wake up. We have arrived." A smooth, luxurious voice, breath that smelled of caramel, a warm hand trailing down my arm. I looked up into darkened silver eyes and reached my hand out to caress a sun-bronzed cheek.

"So pretty." I muttered, brushing the stubble along the angular jaw beneath my hand. I smiled lazily. "Unique texture." White teeth flashed in my direction, almost blindingly, though I still noticed the slightly elongated eyeteeth. My finger caressed the scar that ran from his left eye almost to his lips. My hand lingered, wanting to trace those full lips, to check their texture. I wanted to feel them against mine.

Jerking fully awake, I scrambled backwards across the car seat. Zane stood in the car door, a slight frown marring his lips, giving him a slight edge of sexual appeal. I was breathing fast, my chest heaving. Theos, I had wanted to kiss the Greek god who was posing as the bodyguard for the King of Tartarus.

I cleared my parched throat and licked my suddenly dry lips. Zane's eyes followed the movement, his eyes narrowing and his jaw tightening slightly. Well, wasn't this fascinating. I fumbled behind me for the door handle, not wanting to get out on the other side since that's where Zane stood.

Finally getting the door open, I slid out of the car and walked to the side where Zane was still standing, an almost confused expression on his handsome face.The car I had just vacated was a sleek, silver limo, tinted windows and a driver who wasn't Teyan. We were stopped outside of large iron gates; they must have been over eight feet in height. Zane walked over to the gate and pressed a concealed button.