Chapter One: Drafted

Jesse McCree was a simple man. His appearance was one of familiarity to an older age, not like the common one in which he resigned. He enjoyed his whiskey, the riding of horseback, and was always up for a quest that was given to him by his father respectively. Adoring the colors of reds and blacks, flannel print, and anything that was considered under the category of "cowboy apparel". His life was that of luxury, his family composed of two adventurers themselves. Legends of an earlier time, Jack Morrison and Gabriel Reyes were men of popularity, simply meeting by sheer luck in an odd location during their missions. Nonetheless their admiration for the other lead them to settle down and start a family together, Jesse being the result of said interest.

   After settling down the two had assembled Overwatch, a group of compiled explorers from around the globe to conduct missions and quests in small factions or by themselves for the greater good. Jesse of course being an individual who liked to be the lone wolf of the group. He had been everywhere; crossing the Sahara, trekking the forests of South America, and charging through what had remained of Australia. Flash to a current day and you would see him, running down the chrome hallways of Gibraltar Base on the tip of Spain, bustling through the packs of new trainees to join the Overwatch family. He was always excited to receive new assignments, and would drop anything he'd be doing to get one. He had been on a prolonged hiatus of going anywhere in the world. Any chance to be somewhere new would be wonderful in his eyes.

  He fumbled to fix his posture outside the door to his father Gabriel's office. With a dad as strict as him, it was a necessity to be punctual, even if you were just a trainee it would still be required. He fixed his hat to a straight position from its tilted spot and placed a hand on the doorknob, pushing it open. "Howdy sir,' he says with confidence visible in his voice. His hands crossed behind his back in a tight fist. Even though this was his dad he was speaking to, there was something about his current demeanor that always shook him. Maybe it was his mask, one that was owl-esque, or the black smoke that would constantly rise from the open patches of his bandaged arms that exposed his scarred skin. Whatever it may have been it was something to take note of if you were ever to be under his watch or be a protege to him. The masked individual slowly turned his gaze upward from the mass of papers stacked in front of him on his desk, possibly all applicant forms is what Jesse assumed them to be. 

  "Hello Jesse." His tone was that of neutrality, no audible presences of joy nor irritability. "I'm assuming you acknowledged my request? Rather quickly I should mention." The peaked curiosity was there, you could almost picture him raising his brow under his mask. Jesse nodded contently. "Yes sir, sure did. You know how I do love the quests you send me on." The southern drawl was thick in his voice, mushing his words into "y'all" and "y'know". Gabriel nodded in return. "As to be expected,' he stated. He reached into a cabinet beside his desk and lifted out a manila folder that was thick, full of papers. "Your file,' He dropped it firmly on the edge of his desk for Jesse to take. "You know the drill boy. This'll be a long 'adventure' for you. I don't expect any screw ups. But then again you're one of my best agents." He crossed his arms over his chest, leaning back in his leather seat slightly. Jesse nodded rather quickly, taking the folder in his gloved hand.

   He peeked inside the folder to see the first sheet to be on the top of the stack. Titled "Mission J-637: Hanamura" on a label of said folder. His eyes widened slightly, staring at a map of Japan, a small red star dotting the location of Hanamura on it. "You're sending me to Japan sir?" He looked up at him. Gabriel nodded slightly. "Like I said, you know the drill. Follow instructions and get the job done. You know what I want." Jesse hesitated and nodded quickly once more. "Yes sir, of course sir." He saluted, straightening his posture even more. He was taught by his other father Jack to always finish conversation with a solid salute to his superiors. "Good, stay safe. I can't handle a loss of a man like you." Hearing the word "man" rather than "the loss of my son" made Jesse feel slightly dejected, but his expression remained what it was. "See ya,' He turned and left the room, beginning the walk back to his quarters while gazing through the folder's insides for his mission draft.

   He thought to himself as he read the requested mission in his head. "Dispatch to Hanamura and do investigation on the Shimada Clan. Search for Genji and Hanzo Shimada, alleged criminals and descendants of the clan leader, Sojiro Shimada." He took a step through the automatic sliding doors to his room, letting them shut behind him. With a small sigh he placed the folder on his bedside drawer, sitting on the end of his bed. He turned his head to get a full view of his room. He was going to be away for a few months, and decided it might be best to take in his living space for the short while he had left. Taking his hat off gently, he placed it on the leg of his bed like a hat rack. He naturally without thought reached for the whiskey bottle that always was beside his bed, just to have a small swig of the glass. To his surprise when he did so, the bottle was empty. Of course, he forgot that a few days ago he was training really hard, the only way to quench his thirst by drinking his favorite alcohol. He let out a long groan followed by a sigh, placing the bottle in a waste bin.

   With a just response he changed into pajamas that adorned a plaid pattern comprised of the colors black, red, and blue. He laid down, not covering himself with his blanket, staring at the metal ceiling that covered his room. Thoughts filled his head, ideas and what he might expect as he was to soon travel to Japan. Come to think of it, he'd never seen any Japanese writing or speaking. "Best to guess rather than make assumptions', he told himself. After a few hours passed, Jesse fell into deep sleep, his mind prepped for the trip ahead.