Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Arch sat in the same spot in the tavern he had before, but this time he wasn’t alone. Harper and Carron flanked him at the table. He rocked back in the chair against the wall, keeping a clear view of the dance floor. The moment she entered the establishment, the temperature in the room dropped slightly. No one else probably noticed, but he did because he’d been waiting for it. His heat within rose in response to her nearness, but not in defense. In anticipation of the possibilities.

Just as before, she made her way to the bartender who handed her a glass of ice water. She smiled, and they spoke for a moment as the young woman drank the water. Her hood still remained over her crazy winter white, ice blue-colored hair, the gray fur coat remained closed as she moved over to the music box and selected a song. Her booted foot had just stepped onto the center of the dance floor when the song began. A soulful beat this time perfect for moving.

Harper started to say something then he noticed the woman on the dance floor and never finished his thought. Arch could only focus on the woman. The song reached the last chorus and Arch rose from his seat. Like a missile released from its bay, he headed to the music box and selected a couple more songs, a little slower. Something he’d dance to while holding a woman he wanted to keep close in your arms. 

She still had her hood on, but her coat hung loose. She swayed from side to side, both hands in the air, one caressing and slowly moving down her other hand. The minute the song changed and he stepped on the dance floor, he sensed her awareness of him. That blast of Arctic air was a pretty good clue. He grinned and his own internal temperature rose to counteract her freeze. She stopped moving, tossed back her hood, and swung around to face him. Icicles dropped around them and those that touched his boots sizzled then turned to steam.

Hells, she was even more beautiful up close. Petite. She’d only come up to his shoulder with a round face, a cute little nose, and eyes such a light blue they were almost silver. A perfect match for that wild hair and skin a bluish hue.

He took a step closer to her until he could reach out and touch her. Her entire skin was coated with a thin layer of ice that glittered under the lights like points of white diamonds flashing off her bare flesh. The more he watched, the bluer she turned the temperature fast dropping. Arch flashed hot in response.

Never one to resist a challenge, he raised his hand and touched her, the part of her hip just above the low riders. Skin touched skin, and the tips of his fingers flared blue, like an electrical shock countering his heat. Now that was different. It didn’t hurt him, but he took his hand away and glanced up at her to see if she was okay. Her expression appeared to be one of shock, but no pain.

“Dance?” he whispered, but he meant it as so much more, they both began to move.

***

Assoon as Ice heard the song change, she knew who had chosen it. Slow, sultry, full of heat. She didn’t have to turn to know he'd try to approach her, but no one, no one had ever been able to take the dance floor with her. She flashed even more freeze to compensate for the heat at her back. Her fur coat insulated her and kept the cold close to her skin, but she threw her hood back, releasing a full blast of tundra-like temperature around her as she turned around to face this demon. Nothing short of a fire demon could counter her freeze. And not for long.

When he raised his hand as if to touch her, she waited for him to lower it because the cold wafted off her to a level it created an invisible frigid barrier. Even her eyelashes frosted. She could not have been more shocked than when he crossed into her personal space and moved her coat aside. She remained motionless, but instead of pulling back with a freeze burn, his hand continued to push in until his palm reached her bare hip. Her mouth fell open, but she had no words. He should not have been able to get near her, yet not only had he done so, he'd…touched her. Stunned, a shock rippled through her entire system, steam rose from them both as he pulled his hand away, and she raised her eyes to stare into the flaming abyss of his.