Chapter 33

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

The strange rhythmic noise draws me out of my deep sleep. My eyes flutter open and my nose stings from the sharp, sterile odor surrounding me. Once my eyes begin to adjust to the harsh light, I realize that I am looking up at a white ceiling. I try to sit up but I feel something tugging at my arms. What the hell? I tear away the thin blanket that is draped over me, and when I look down at myself and see that I am dressed in a hospital gown.

Snapping my head back up, I look around desperately at my surroundings. I am in a hospital room, that much is clear. But I have no idea how I got here, or why I am here for that matter. Just as I begin hyperventilating, I hear hurried footsteps that sound like they are approaching from outside the door. I stare at the doorway with wide eyes until I see a woman rush inside. The second I lay my eyes on her, I feel like I am going to pass out.

"Mom?" I get out breathlessly. She smiles and approaches the side of my bed, taking my hand.

"Hi sweetie, did you just wake up?" She asks, sounding curious. But I can't find it in myself to answer, the shock is too much for me. All I can think about is how she is here right now. How am I here right now?

"What's going on? What's happening?"

"Oh honey," she gently squeezes my hand. "You were in an accident. You guys ran into some bad weather on your trip and the bus went off the road. But don't worry, everybody is fine. The doctors say that you'll be able to come home in a few days."

I stare at her blankly, my mouth hanging open, speechless. The bus? Is she talking about the field trip I went on all that time ago? The trip that took me to Memphis? My head is spinning. I just can't believe any of this is actually happening.

"No, that's wrong. The bus got there just fine," I start, trying to convince myself that this isn't happening. "We got there fine, and then everything happened."

My mother gives me a strange look. "What are you talking about Anna? Your bus didn't even make it to Tennessee. You guys got in an accident in Illinois." I shake my head.

"No! We made it to Memphis. And then at the hotel--" I cut myself off. The hotel. That's when everything happened, when I went back in time. "What day is it?" I ask, sitting up.

"It's Saturday," my mom answers, sounding confused.

"No, no! What's the date? The year, what's the year?" I demand.

It's 2015," she cocks her head to the side, studying me. "Why are you asking me this? What's wrong?"

"Where is he?" I blurt out.

Where is who? Anna, you're starting to scare me."