Chapter Two

*the girl in the photo: Skylar Hills*

~~~~~~~

I stare at the clock, waiting for the bell to ring so school could be over. My social studies teacher, Ms. Joseph, was being an old witch as always. She is the meanest teacher in South High. She would let us sit quietly for the whole hour and do nothing if we ever talked. One thing she had done to me was when I needed help with a question in our assignment, so I went up to her desk to ask her, which was the stupidest mistake I've ever done. So I ask her and she starts yelling at me and gave me a detention slip for asking her an unnecessary question. She sent me down to the principal's office and I told him I did nothing wrong, so I showed him how silly the detention slip was and said that I was excused from going to detention and that I return to my class. He had a talk with Ms. Joseph. I was happy that time and felt stupid for doing something I knew was stupid to do. She absolutely hates kids and I absolutely hate her.

"Lily Carlen, pay attention when I am speaking! You teenagers just want to go home and play with your game boys and iPods and text all day long. Well, I'm sure I could give you all detention slips so you would have to stay in here every day and wouldn't have to torcher your parents like you normally do!" screamed Ms. Joseph.

No wonder you're not married. You'd be ditched on your first date. You wouldn't even be on a date. I can't imagine a guy that would be interested in you, I think to myself.

RING! RING! RING! Schools over, and I have to remember to find Skyler before she leaves. I have to call my mom to pick us up. I start running to my locker. There's a crowd of people in the hallway so I start pushing my way threw the crowd.

"Hey, watch it," someone calls from behind.

"You have no idea what I'm going through. My friend is going to die and I have to be there to save her." He starts looking at me with a confused look. "Yea, it's true."

"Ok..."

I start pushing through the crowd, and I finally made it to my locker and grab my backpack and look at the clock. 2:27 p.m. I've only got 3 minutes to find Skylar. I close my locker and rush down the hallway. I look at the time 2:29 p.m. Oh no. I've got one minute to find her. I start running. And then, I find her. "Skylar! Skylar, wait!" I scream to her.

"Lily, I've been looking all over for you," Skylar screams back.

I run to her and tell her that I was looking for her, too. I grab hold of her arm and pull her to the office.

"Where are we going?" She says, pulling her arm away. "I was wondering if you can drive Katie, Sara, and I home," Skylar asks me. And I look at her like, what are you thinking?

"Umm...no. My...umm...car ran out of...umm...gas."

"Why not? You always drive us home. And I saw you driving your car to school. How did it run out of gas?" Me and Skylar live right across from each other, so we go to each others houses a lot. I used to sneak out of my house whenever my parents were arguing and stay at Skylar's house until my mom came to take me back home.

"Listen, you just can't."

"And why not?" she says back, with a sort of angry tone in her voice. "I want the truth, Carlen, now," she says, crossing her arms.

What should I do? If I lie, she'll never talk to me. And if I tell her the truth, she'll think I'm lying and still won't talk to me so what do you expect me to do? Life has hard decisions, sometimes. I guess there's one thing to do.

"Ok, but you have to believe me, no matter what I say."

"Just spill it, Carlen," she says.

"Ok. I had a vision in my sleep, which happens to me a lot, except it's with different people every time. My visions show me the deaths of people, like last year, when Susan Jay died from chocking on an apple. This vision was about you this time. You, me, Katie, and Sara were driving back home and we get into a car accident, and you die," I say. She stares at me with a blank expression, not knowing what to say. Does she believe me? Or does she think I've gone mad and is going to tell everyone in school? She remains quiet for a minute, then she speaks, quietly.

"Anyone else die?"

"No, just you," I say.

"Oh. I guess I believe you."

"You do? You don't think I'm crazy?"

"No, I don't. I mean, yeah, it does sound crazy, but I still believe you. That's why we became friends, right? Friends trust each other no matter what."

"Even though it sounds really crazy, you wouldn't tell the whole school?"

"Well, yeah."

I feel so lucky that she is my friend. Now I know she's going to be there for me always. Isn't that what best friends do? They will always trust you, even though you sound like a total maniac.

"So, your mom is going to drive us?"

"Yea, but wouldn't you rather just die in an accident, so, I guess we should-" I say grabbing the car keys from my bag, until she cuts me off and takes the keys away from my hand.

"No way, Carlen. I don't want to die! That's the last thing I want too happen. Plus, I still haven't gotten a chance to kiss Justin Michaels yet!" I laugh. Justin is Skylar's crush and we both believe that he's got a crush on her, too. I take out my phone and dial my mom's cell, but she doesn't answer.

"That's odd, she usually picks up her phone. She never misses a call," I say, a little worried.

"It's ok. Call your home phone. Maybe she didn't hear her cell, " says Skylar.

"Okay," I say, hoping it'll work, but it doesn't. Skylar looks at me and I shake my head to signify that my mom didn't pick up. Now, I'm starting too worry.

"That's odd. I thought it would work," says Skylar. I start calling her cell again, and she picks up. I nod at Skylar and she's relieved.

"Hey, mom. Can you come pick Skylar, Katie, Sara, and I up from school?"

"Yea, sure, sweetheart. I'll be there shortly," says my mom, sounding tired. She was probably sleeping.

"Ok, thanks, mom," I say and I hang up.

"So, is she coming?" says Skylar.

"Yes, Sky, she's coming," I say.

"Okay, I'll just go get Sara and Katie."

"Okay," I say, and she's off.