• four •

AUTUMN

"Excuse me." I say as I push my way through the crowded bar, or club, to maybe try a drink or two. I don't really drink, but since I'm touring, I'm feeling it tonight. I squeak as I run into someone and laughter rings as I open my eyes. "Long time, no see, eh?" I sigh in relief to see that, out of everyone, I've run into Nathan. "This is so overwhelming!" I exclaim over the booming music. He nods, "I totally agree. Back home the pubs have never been this packed. Have you ever been in a pub? They're really nice. There's never a time when no one is laughing." I take everything he said in, "I haven't, actually, and that must be nice." He smiles. His energy practically radiates. It's pretty crazy how I haven't seen him laughing or smiling since we've met. "So is this your first night here? You still seem pretty lost." I blush, "It is. I had to go see the tower first, and then I realized that I had no clue where I was. I'm so glad I found you guys." As soon as I got here, I headed straight to the tower. It's been a dream to see it ever since I was little. I just graduated cosmetology school, so I thought to come here before I get start with my business. I've just been wondering the streets and looking at everything. I've come across a few people that speak English, but not many. "Well, that's good. I hope you enjoy your time here." My eyes connect with a pair of light blue ones, and I feel my self tense up. He rolls his eyes at me, and I drop my head as it flushes in embarrassment that he noticed.

"Who's the guy with all of the tattoos?" I ask Nathan, my curiosity is dying to know. "Oh," Nathan makes a face at the mention of him, "that's Andy. He isn't the sweetest berry." I laugh at his comment, "I couldn't agree more." Logan and the others greet me sweetly, and we talk for a bit before I decide that I'm ready for a drink. I walk over and sit next to Andy quietly, and he turns to me with a smile. A wave of shock flies through me. His teeth are so white and pretty, painting themselves the most beautiful smile. "You couldn't stay away, could you?" My face twists, his smile uncovering something I wasn't expecting. "I would prefer to, but I want a drink. I don't really want my vacation ruined." His long fingers play with his lip ring as he sips on his drink, "You drink often?" I shake my head, "Not really, but it is a vacation so I decided I want to." He shrugs, "Well, what are you gonna get?" I begin to stutter, and he chuckles to himself. He waves the bartender down and motions for two drinks, and she hands us each one. He gives her a wink and she blushes, causing me to roll my eyes. I pick up the iced drink and bring it to my lips. As it slides down my throat, I start to cough and Andy laughs. I glare at him. It's strong, but I kind of like it. He sticks his tongue out, "Pussy." I scoff and roll my eyes at his childishness. He throws his hands up, "Your sass is at a ten, I'm gonna need it at most a three." I ignore him and take a big sip, trying not to cough cringe. He laughs, "What?" I ask him defensively. "I see right through you." I bite my tongue, wishing I could say the same thing, but instead I end up taking another sip of my drink.

By the end of this glass, I'm a bit giggly and I keep laughing every time Andy looks at me. It's just funny. "Lightweight?" He asks me with one eyebrow raised into a playful arch. I shrug with a smile, "I could use one more." Soon enough, the cold glass reaches my hands, and I begin to drink it eagerly. 

"So does this thing have a name?" He asks me while gesturing a large hand to me. "Yes, it does. My name is Autumn." He hums while setting the empty glass down on the bar, "That's a colorful name. Where is this season from?" I clear my throat, it's beginning to feel thick, "Louisiana." He laughs a bright laugh, "You hunt, fish?" I make a face at him, "Okay, let's get this straight, not everyone is a country hick. Take your stereotypes somewhere else." He nods in understanding, "Well, I'm sorry." I smile at him. Maybe he does have a heart.

"So only gators?"

I roll my eyes and he laughs once again. As much as I don't like this guy, his laughter is quite a nice sound and it makes me smile, despite the other ill-mannered things that escape the same lips. I give him the cold shoulder and he nudges me with his elbow, nearly knocking me off the stool, "Don't be so sad." Ignoring him, I hop off my stool, stumbling a bit with an ungraceful landing, and I walk back towards Nathan. "Do you want to go dance?" I ask him and he smiles, a beer in hand, "You're into that? I can't really dance, but I can try. You seem like the dancing type, so let's go!" He drags me into a crowd of people. "Can you understand the music?" I ask him. "Not at all!" I laugh at him and move to the humming beat of the music. I go clubbing all the time back home, usually in Houston which is where I went to cosmetology school. I love dancing. It's always been a passion, and I like to let loose and be myself on the dance floor.

I eventually end up taking my jacket off and throwing at Andy. He hasn't moved off of his stool since I've been here. It's not like I expected him too or anything. He must have had a really bad day, or maybe he's just a rude person? Whichever, I don't really like him. I don't know who he thinks he is disrespecting me like he did. I'm not putting up with that.

The bass vibrates my chest as I let the music move through me, struggling to keep myself up from whatever drink Andy ordered me.