Slay Queen

Who is a slay queen? Like almost everything else in my life, I took it upon myself to look for the definition of slay queen and it didn't take long before i found my answer. According to the Urban dictionary, a slay queen was someone who looked and acted so amazing, fabulous and flawless that any insult one makes against that 'queen' would slide right past them and back to you. Why? How? Its simple. Who even are you when you're standing next to them. In New York, where I live,anyone would be flattered to be called a slay queen. In fact, they'll blush. In Ghana where i come from, being called that was either taken as a compliment or an insult. One might ask, 'Why on earth would anyone see slay queen as an insult?' You see, thats the thing. It isn't only about the looks or dressing fabulously. It is also about being smart and not misspelling words as if you've never been to first grade or even school for that matter. Which was something most of the "slay queens" in Ghana were good at. Misspelling words. Now lets move on to me. 

      Why am I talking about slay queens? The answer is quite simple. Well I wouldn't be talking about Slay queens if I wasn't one myself. In fact, I was the slay queen of all slay queens. I was a trendsetter. Still am. I also had those looks and features that could and would make one stop in his tracks. That automatically made me a slay queen. But unlike most slay queens, that was not only what got people interested in me. Ghana consisted of a society that looked for future wife qualities in a girl. Qualities that included intelligence (as I mention before) . Because nobody certainly wanted a clubbing, 'shisha' smoking dolt to be their daughter in law or their wife. Another quality included a a girls ability to dress decently. Which meant no matter how badass you were or are, never let there be a picture of you dressed indecently out there. Not even a rumor. I possessed both qualities.

      I also had a quality that I used to my advantage. My secret weapon, I called it. My charm. It was what kept people intrigued about me. I could capture attention when I wanted and keep it for as long as I liked. I was talented too. I could write up a good story at will and sing quite well. So, you could say I was the best one could find. But like any other person, I had a few skeletons in my closet. I didn't become the best by being all nice and cute. I did some rather mean stuff. Stuff I'd rather forget. I won't lie, I knocked down more than a few people to get to the top. I still have mixed feelings about it though. Sometimes i regret it. sometimes I don't. But it was necessary. As long as I was number one, I had no regrets.