Chapter One

Now that you heard my spiel, I am going to properly introduce myself. I am Sam. I am sarcastic, nerdy and adventurous. My life was perfectly fine up until I turned 16. Then I got the best birthday present of my life. Around the time of my birthday, my boyfriend and I split up for mutual reasons. Shaun was very popular and didn't care about school where I was almost the exact opposite. We hadn't been going out for longer than a month and we hadn't even kissed yet so neither of us was too upset and we said we would still be friends. Then a week later I hear from him that he went to a party and got SUPER drunk and smoked pot, after he had been clean the entire time we dated. I found out some more about the party and then did one of the hardest things I've ever done. I called his dad and ratted him out. I felt horrible. I broke down crying while I was on the phone. And of course I called during school, just to make sure Shaun wouldn't find out so people were around me and I was a mess. But it didn't matter because he still did and tried to publicly humiliate me on Facebook; before blocking me of course.

I hang out with all of the teachers’ pets and I love all of my friends to death but they didn't approve of me dating a druggie in the first place so they weren't that upset when I ratted him out. Sometimes my friends can be real twats. Almost immediately after that, I got super mad at my step dad lecturing me about cleaning up after myself and I told him to fuck off. Let me explain that situation too. So my mom married my step dad, Jerry, when I was in 8th grade and he had never had kids before. So he's never been happy about inheriting two kids, but when he's stressed and something isn't done his way, he goes off screaming and cussing and he even flipped his desk chair over once as he stormed away from the dinner table. And yes I know it isn't respectable to swear in front of your parents but I have a loud mouth that is missing one part: a filter. He goes around swearing at us all the time, but that one time I swear back I get kicked out of the house. And I would say it made it easier on me to live with my dad, who lives closer to all of my friends, but it didn't make a difference because he travels every other week for work so I was bouncing between different friends houses in between living with my dad. It was during that year and a half that I got really good at living out of a backpack and falling asleep anywhere. I kept up good grades throughout that strange time though and so my parents felt the need to repay me by ALLOWING their 18 year old daughter to travel to the place she's only dreamed of: London. Now I saw allowing because they still felt they needed to grant me permission even though I was 18 and going whether they liked it or not. Thankfully, because they partially supported it, they bought my one-way ticket and I said goodbye. So I packed my bags, left my stupid small town in Minnesota, and left without a regret.