Chapter Sixteen - Peter Ricoletti Part IV

We're invited to a Police Press Conference a week later held by Lestrade. Tennison stands to the side of the room with a smile while dad, John and I stand on the stage beside Lestrade. I see Donovan and Anderson smirking at the back of the room and avert my gaze. There's a lot of press here so hopefully I might be given credit in at least one.

"Peter Ricoletti," Lestrade begins and the room quietens. "Number one on Interpol's Most Wanted list since 1982. But we got him; and there's two people we have to thank for giving us the decisive leads ... with all their customary diplomacy and tact!"

Dad and I smile insincerely at him while John leans in closer.

"Sarcasm," he says quietly.

"Yes," dad replies as the press applaud.

Lestrade walks over and hands dad and I a gift-wrapped package each, smiling cheerfully which makes me suspicious to what's inside.

"We all chipped in," Lestrade says and we tear the wrapping paper open. Anderson and Donovan grin expectantly as we pull out our gifts.

Mine is a green Victorian hat with a net veil like the one I wore several months ago in the iconic photo taken at the end of the Aluminium Crutch case. I look across at what dad has and see the deerstalker in his hands. I laugh, knowing how much he loves that hat.

"Oh!" dad exclaims in mock happiness.

"Put the hats on! Put the hats on!" the reporters call.

"Yeah, guys, put them on!"

Dad glares at the reporters like he's going to kill them but I laugh and put the hat on. John clears his throat uncomfortably.

"Just get it over with," John says quietly. Glowering at him and no doubt suspecting, as I do, that he had some part to play in this, dad unhappily puts the hat on. As a cue, flashbulbs go mad and everyone applauds. At the back of the room, Donovan claps with sarcastic delight while Anderson grins smugly. Dad smiles at the press through gritted teeth and glances at Greg as if promising him a world of pain later but I bask in the attention. Like mother like daughter.