Anthony

2011

Anthony had known Anita for many years now and had never seen her as disheveled and tense as she had been over the past six months. The stress showed on her face and body. She appeared tired and worn out with deep circles around her eyes, and her skin was ashy and dry. Anita was a composed and ambitious woman. Anthony had always respected her for those traits, among several others. She was fair and honest, a rare find these days. She usually handled most situations in a quick and efficient manner, but recently, she looked just as she clearly felt, in over her head.

They had scheduled a meeting a week back, but the Dean had rescheduled it several times. As if what they were to discuss was not as important. In truth, Anthony didn't think Anita liked him being there. She saw him as a nuisance, something dropped in her lap as a favor to Jean Paul. Jean Paul was Anthony's recently deceased predecessor and mentor.

"What news do you have for me today, Anthony?" Anita stared down at a pile of papers on her desk.

"The rumors are true. She's recruiting."

Anita's eyes shot up and met Anthony's.

"It's confirmed?"

"Yes, this morning."

"How can you be certain?"

"I sent Eloy."

"And you trust him?"

"With my life.

"Well, that's just great," Anita said in a sarcastic tone.

"There's more," Anthony said.

"Of course there is."

"She's compiled a list of every single one of Jean Paul's descendants and is checking them off one by one until she finds his heir."

"And you're on this list?"

"Yes."

"Is there any way for her to find you here?"

"I don't think so. I covered my tracks pretty well, but I can't be certain."

"Perfect, so she could show up here, and it would be the end of all our lives." Anita ran her hands through her hair in frustration. "I'm sorry, Anthony. I know this isn't your fault. I promised Jean Paul I would hide you. But this is not what I signed up for."

"I understand."

"I'm sorry," Anita said, running her hands through her hair. "I am very tired. Jamie Fournier called me in a panic at three in the morning."

"What?" Anthony asked. "Did you say Jamie Fournier?"

"Oh, yes. I had completely forgotten that you two were an item back in the day."

"Is she in some kind of trouble?"

"I'm not sure. She asked me to take in her daughter. I'd swear I was running a refugee camp or something."

"That's very strange. Do you talk to Jamie often? Did she say why?"

"Not very. She writes about once year. Keeps me updated with her life. I wouldn't have said yes, but she sounded very worried. She said that she had some kind of premonition and that somebody was coming for her."

"Who?"

"She wouldn't say."

"What about Richard? Can't he protect her and the girl."

"Oh, you don't know? Richard died when Simone was only five or six years old, I believe. I told her that his family would take Simone in and protect her, but she insisted they wouldn't."

"Why?"

"Oh, I shouldn't say," Anita hesitated and glanced away.

"Please, I won't tell anyone,"Anthony reassured her. He caught her eyes. "Tell me everything."