1 // Carnation

Connie snorted. "I'm pretty sure that the guy not agreeing with you doesn't make them a bad person." Lily squinted, snatching the textbook. "This is wrong." Connie stared at the textbook, then at Lily. "I'm sure he's just.. Y'know? Not afraid of you?" Connie erased the answer she wrote, the right one wrote after. "He was still wrong. Did you know he likes you?"

The filipino shrugged. "Doesn't matter," She waved her hand above her messy hair. Connie's hair glowed a light blue then gathered into a neat bun.
Lily opened the closet to their room. Light colors of all sorts hung on the hangers. Lily pulled out a blue dress with a white collar. She held the dress infront of her, then placed it back in the small closet.

         "So.. Why don't you date anyone?" Lily sat on the dark wood floor, her fingers tapping her thighs. Connie shrugged, scribbling answers into her textbook, "Magic 101: Student Edition." The asian sighed, closing the book, "Probably because I'm aromantic." Lily nodded, pointing her finger at Connie's head. A daisy flower crown dropped on her head.

        Lily got up, causing Connie to follow her out the door. A hall painted ivory white, with many light wood doors stood before them. Hanging lights lit up the room, the sound of high heel footsteps echoing from down the hall. A high voice spoke up. "Can you believe she tried stepping up to me in the spell battle? She practically flew when I cast my spell." Three girls rounded the the corner, their laughs filling the corridor.

        The girl in the center had black hair cascading down her back, and pale skin, with a nose highlight. Her name was Eileen, the most advanced student in the school. The girl on Eileen's right chewed minty gum, her cheeks rosy. Her hair a dirty blonde, and her hips swayed while she walked. She was known as Jacky. The last girl had beautiful brown skin, her dark hair in braids. She had a confident aura around her, leaving others in awe. Her name was Tameshia.

      "Hello Connie, Lily." Eileen nodded in their direction. Connie waved happily, as Lily shot a hard stare in Eileen's direction. Eileen straightened, as if she got the idea. You're just a challenge. Tameshia and Jacky greeted the two, a kind "hello, how are you?" earned back. Eileen felt a hint of jealousy, suddenly speaking up. "We just got back from the spell battle in Ms. Spellheart's classroom. Tameshia and Jacky got top scores, along with me."

      "That's good! We're actually heading to her class right now! Do you think we'll get top scores like you three?" Connie rambled on, leaving Lily a chance to speak. "I have no doubt that I can get top grade." Lily huffed, crossing her arms. Jacky rolled her eyes, "You never know." The two girls said goodbye and headed to Spellheart's class.

      "I practically felt her doubting my skills. I'm the second best, you know. She's not so special. One slip up, and I'll take first best." Lily smirked, as the filipino wrapped her arm around the other girl. "Don't be so tense! I'm sure that she wasn't doubting you." Connie smiled gently, Lily's mood lightening a trifle. Lily nodded, as they walked into Spellheart's room. The chatter of other magical teenagers surrounded them. The classroom had posters demonstrating how to cast spells, reminders on having good posture while casting a spell to ensure strong results.

       The young teacher walked in, the class's noise dropping. Ms. Spellheart had a kind smile and wore a black pansuit. She straightened her stack of papers, and looked up at the class. "Good evening everyone! As you may have noticed by the desks moved to the sides, we are having a spell battle today." Ms. Spellheart waved her hand, as Mrs. Poppy, the school nurse, appeared, first aid kit in hand. "Mrs. Poppy will tend to any wounds during the battle. Remember, this is a test on your spell casting skills. Don't forget, straight posture, loud voice, and pronounce your spells in your mind correctly."

      "Alright, students. Your first competitor is.. Miss Connie Luga. Connie, choose your oponent." Connie's eyes scanned the people, her brown eyes landing on a guy. His blue eyes were locked onto her, a grin on his face. "I choose Alec." Alec's smile widened, as he stepped up. "Alright. Others, back up and pay close attention to the battle. I want you all to take notes on their techniques, and how they can improve."

     The two stood tall. Alec mouthed a short "Good luck." Connied scoffed, as Spellheart waved her hand, a popping noise emitting, blue dust scattered, signaling the start of the battle. Alec thrusted his hand forward, yellow sparks shooting towards Connie. Her hand moved, blocking the sparks, as she made a circling gesture with her hand, a spiral of white light shot at Alec, hitting him in the shoulder. He let out a grunt, shooting a black light, smacking Connie in the leg.

     Connie stumbled, and let out a frustrated breath. She jerked her hand forward, a collision of red and black flying in Alec's direction. Her spell hit Alec's arm. Alec growled, shooting a black cloud, hitting Connie straight in the forehead, leading her to falling. Her head hit the floor, as she cried out in pain. Mrs. Poppy rushed over, and started tending to Connie's wounds. Her eyes wandered over to Alec, a hint of worry in his eyes, replaced with triumph.

       Cheers erupted from the students, guys patting Alec on the back. "Congratulations Alec Lester!" Ms. Spellheart cheered. "Miss. Lily White, choose your oponent." Lily grunted, "I choose Alec Lester as my oponent."
Alec smirked, stepping up. Ms. Spellheart signaled the start of the battle.
Lily thrusted her arms forward, three bright yellow sparks hitting Alec straight in the legs. Alec's legs buckled and he fell to the ground. Lily stood with triumphant glee. Mrs. Poppy rushed over to help Alec.
"Lily White, I want to see you after class," Spellheart said, leaving everyone in a silence.