Chapter one; Puffy Eyes.

The city changes every few minutes. There is misery in these streets. It has soaked into the sidewalk cracks and into the graffitied walls. Here you were anyone you wanted to be or no one at all. Technically it wouldn't matter, people here weren't exactly; nice. It's as if they are programmed to get as distant from one another as possible, make no eye contact and move fast. They behave like everyone they meet is a potential danger. The balcony I sat on was a concrete ledge, square rough edges and a rusty rail, but it was my oasis. After moving to this gloomy city this were I would come and hide from the rest of the world. I could enjoy the breeze, the sun and even sometimes sit out in misty rain. Below the city flowed in it's tense way, bustling and honking.

It was clustered with a few plot plants, struggling to survive in the smog of Queens. One old torn up second hand couch pushed up against the brick wall of the building. And completed with a small wooden coffee table. I spread across the couch, book in my hand. 'Freeks', such a good book. Reading it for the second time. The cool breeze caused goosebumps to run up under my tan skin. A baggy shirt covered my small frame. Old, crinkled with many different smells lingering off of it. Spread across the back was the banner for Hogwarts. Straight out of the wonderful world of Harry Potter. The sound of my phone vibrating on the wooden table broke me out of my trance in the book.

S: Don't forget to lock the front door.

My sister.

Me: Yes, yes I know.

As if anything would happen anyway. The front door was already locked. I lived with my sister, who to my surprise, loves to travel. She left yesterday for Cambodia. Leaving me. Alone. Fortunately one of her friends who's like a brother to me, will be checking on me often. I've known him for years and years.

I pushed the glasses I wore further up my nose as my head admittedly lifts up at the sound of screaming. Jumping up from the old couch I gripped the rusty railing of my balcony leaving over. The streets quieted down after the unexplained noise. In the darkness of the night the streets were dimly lit up by the yellowish streetlights. My eyebrows knitted together searching the street below for any suspicious behaviour. Just as I stepped back to turn inside the scream flew through my ears one again. Louder uh well closer. My eyes connected with a woman's who was thrown over a mans shoulder down below. Tears were streaming down her face.

Instantly my body reacted before my brain did. Running to apartment door and out into the hallway. At the end of the narrow hallway, a small window sat facing into a alleyway connecting to the Main Street of which the woman was. Out this window their was a air conditioner vent followed by the fire escape. This where I'd escape in the dead of night instead of getting caught by the cameras in the lobby. By the time I climbed out the window I stood on the aircon box. Spotting the man who held his hand around her mouth to muffle her screams I leaped out grabbing onto the old fire escape. That was mostly never used, well besides sneaky teens like me.

Once my bare feet touched the cold cement of the alleyway I sprinted towards the man. Why I was doing this I have no idea. Not once in all the insanely stupid ideas I've had in past not once have I done anything like this.

"Oi! You! What are you doing!" My voice echoed down the street, cracking slightly from yelling so loud. The attacker turned around slightly to show his face. He would have to be around 30. Lines over his face from wrinkles of worries. His dark blue eyes stared deeply at me, confused he looked the young girl who stood before him. That girl of which being me begun regretting her decision of being courageous. An evil grin pulled at his thin lips. This action made my stomach drop. I attempted to stand confidently.

"Little girl what are you doing up this late? It's a school night". He took a step closer to me. Not leaving his eyes I held my head high also, stepping closer.

"I don't go to school". By the time I finished my sentence, the man tried to grab me with his free hand. I Dodged his large scaly hand by ducking under his arm. As he towered over me this wad to be expected. Once I stood straight again with all the force i had, i three my leg up kicking him in his balls. He groaned dropping the lady who was once in his grip. He kneed in the ground holding his junk letting out deep breaths.

"Run!" The lady stared at me as the word left my mouth. She scurried to get up. No longer then a second later she was gone. Forgetting about the attacker I laughed slightly proud of my accomplishment. Until a hand grabbed my wrist. A shriek escaped my mouth as i felt him pull me towards him. My other hand came in contact with his nose. Despite it starting to bleed he didn't flinch. Just laughed at me.

"Naughty girl". He hit the back of my head. Picking me up over his shoulder like previously did with the other lady. I begun hitting his back as hard as I could. It only made loud thudding noises not effecting him whatsoever. An idea sprung into my head. Wetting my finger with my mouth I stuck it into his ear. Gross. He squirmed away releasing me. My feet started running only for him him to catch up quickly pushing me onto the road. Skin on cement is not a nice feeling. Pain spread on my cheek as I brought my hand up to it. Rubbing furiously. The man stood over me with the grin that scared me. I once again threw my leg up and kicked him, in the face. Giving me some time to run away.

Once I started running. I did not stop. My adrenaline wore off realising how terrified I was. The man stopped following me. I ran, like the winter breeze colliding into inanimate objects and crashing waves hitting the shore line. Hair sticking to my face, palms sweaty while my feet aggressively kissed the ground below me. Wind blowing in my face, I even ran out in front of cars. Only stopping at a dead end in a unfamiliar street. Having no choice I twirled around and started climbing up the side of the building.

Once I reached the top I crawled onto the roof placing my bum on the edge. My naked legs and bare feet dangling over the passing cars down on a busy street. Hugging my baggy t-shirt around my body letting the tears trail down my cheek. It stung as the saltiness of the tear dripped into he graze on my right cheek. Left by my skin coming in contact with the road earlier. The thought of what accrued before traumatised me. It was as if all the colour drained out of me thinking about it. First off, I don't know what that man could of done to me. Secondly, although I know a few self defence moves I am not capable of bringing down a full grown adult. Lastly there was no one there to help. Not even that woman who I saved.

My eyes rolled back at the thought as I put my head in my hands and sobbed. . I feel the muscles of my chin tremble like a small child and I look out at the city as if the all lights could soothe me. The green puffy orbs of mine follow the tears dripping off my chin and fall to the street below. Why was I even up here? Behind me a small thump was heard.

"Oh! Uh are you okay? Please don't jump or anything". An unidentifiable voice choked out awkwardly filled with concern. I choked on my own spit and junk slightly. The sound of nothingness was all you could hear from me. I held my breath turning around ever so slowly. Almost like they do in your stereotypical horror movie. My eyes widened.