Chapter 1

My name is Francis and this is my story. I moved into the small town , Goldwood, just beside the deep ocean . The scent of sweet , fresh strawberries filled the air as I walked on by . The market square was filled with stalls that had fresh fruit and vegetables, a fragrant smell of fresh flowers and bright coloured clothing stood out from miles. The stalls had honeysuckle , each sip you took you could feel the gooey syrup rolling around on your tastesbuds. The small town was surrounded by beautiful meadows. Each street was filled with a soft carpet of freshly cut grass. The clouds were fluffy like candy floss. The sky was blue like a pure Hawaiian ocean. Trees swayed through the light breeze. Each and every bush had a different fruit growing from there green leaves. Cherries. Blackberries. Raspberries. Strawberries. Blueberries. Like pearls the village houses shone in the radiant dawn . White fluffy doves sung like a choir of angels.in the mornings you would smell blueberry pancakes that engulfed your nostrils in a doughy like scent. The markets in the evening , would fill the breeze with s rosy like perfume , that tempted the other villagers to buy a bottle. It was the day of moving in to the village , as the golden dawn began to rise , I awoke hearing a strange sound , i looked outside my window. I noticed that my dads car was missing . In the room next to me I heard my mum crying . I knew something was the matter. She told me about my younger sister Florence. She said everything wasn't ok with her. I gulped. I worried . I knew that it would be hard. "Everything will be ok " I said " Even things don't go right we will get through them I promise " . My mum smiled. Eventually I went up to my room. I trotted past Florence's room . I stood silent. A tear ran down my face. Quickly I wiped it away. I started to unpack . It took me a while to try and not think about Florence. I went outside for some fresh air . When I stood there I could smell the scent of the blueberry pancakes that the village sold. I was tempted to see , but I just waited. The white fluffy doves came singing around me. The breeze smelt like the left over perfume they sprayed at night. When I slowly walked out , there was an old looking building in the distance . It was to foggy to see clearly what is was . I told my mum I'm going for a walk . She nodded. I was looking around the village to see what was on offer , the vibrant clothing was hurting my eyes. I saw people tasting the honeysuckle . I wanted to try . I saw the pancakes . I wanted to get some , but as always I didn't have money. I then ran strait passed the small street. I hit my arm on a blackberry bush . I picked lots of them and decided to give them a wash in the gleaming fountain . I sytrted to eat , I realised I was closer to the old building , once I ate my blackberries I continuously ran towards it . After several minutes of running , i managed to get inside. Cobwebs snap across my White jumper. It was pitch black. " WHY ARE YOU HERE " a deep voice echoed. I was silent. "WELL ".
" who are you " I asked. No answer.
"GO AWAY ". He sounded ill . He looked like he hadn't moved. Why was he here ? What was he doing ? "WHO ARE YOU " he asked . " I...I..I'm Francis ". He snapped his fingers and a bright gleam of silvery light shone . It was clogged with dust. "45 AND 98 " he kept whispering. In a rush , like a bat out of hell , I ran as far as I could . Then I made it to my house . My mum had disappeared. I saw this girl climbing a tree. She looked the same age as me. I didn't speak. She waved . I waved . She smiled . I smiled. She read. I looked. She looked. I wondered what was her name. I couldn't bare to speak. What if she didn't like me ?
I heard the owls. Hoot hoot . I couldn't sleep. Things jumbled up in my mind. Who was that man ? Who was that girl ? What would happen to my sister? I just sat there waiting . Dawn sprung. Today was my first day back at school. I got to see Sahara and India again. Miss Cobble was there to greet me . I sat with Sahara . India wasn't in my form . We got to spend the day doing whatever we want . I told my friends about what happened in the summer. Fun. I had fun . Everything was in the back of my mind. On the bus , I was sat with India. She was bloating away but I didn't listen. She looked at me . " Fran is something wrong . " I just sat there. She didn't say much after. I could feel my guys wanting to blurt everything. I just kept quiet. A small drop of tears fell upon my school skirt. I wiped it off before India could notice. I saw the odd building again. The bus stopped. I ran towards it and went in. I heard a deep voice " HELLO WHO IS IT " I told him it was Francis. He kept whispering the same thing " 45 AND 98 " he didn't tell me what he wanted. I saw the time . It was late . I rushed home. My dad was there. With Florence I was so relived. However he didn't look happy . " Fran I have some bad news. " I Smashed my bag down and ran. " it's about granny " my face began to frown . " She's not well . Mum has gone to take care of her " .
" will she be ok"
There was silence. After school , the next day, Florence came to greet me . We talked and talked until we walked home . When we got back , my dad was on the phone . He was talking to mum . She was telling him about granny , and how ill she was , I didn't want her to be ill. When I stood in the back for fresh air , the breeze wafted in my face. That girl was climbing the tree . "Hi " I said
"Hi" she replied.
" I'm Francis . "
" I'm Everleigh " she said. We began to chat and I laughed and smiled. After a while of talking I heard dad calling "Fran ,Fran " I rushed to the straw chair next to the table. " There you are " he said . " come on get in , someone's here to see you "
I waved at everliegh to say a goodbye , and I went inside. Miss cobble and Miss Stone was there . They were talking to Florence. When they saw me I came and sat down . Already I knew that they knew something was wrong. They began talking to me about what's been going on at home , and they decided to take some time off but I will still have work sent home . After they left , I told dad I was going for a walk , I rushed to the old building again, I saw ashes and ashes of old newspapers and magazines. With my torch , I shone it on the newspapers. They where full of dust , I couldn't get a glimpse but they looked like they were from 40 years ago. The dark figure , stood like a statue i shone the torch and it was clogged with dust. "WHOS THERE " the creature said.
"It's Francis again " . He stared at me blankly. He looked fed up . "45 " he kept whispering.
"WHY DO YOU KEEP COMIN BACK HERE " he anxiously said . He looked hungry , I ran straight out and ran back home. I picked up a sandwich and I ate half of it on the way . Several minutes later , I came back , dust wafted in my face . When I approached him I asked "Are you hungry ." He didn't answer. I offered him the half eaten sandwich, he snatched it out of my hands and devoured it like he hadn't eaten in days. He still kept saying "45" I was trying to figure it out but couldn't. I didn't think he was here all of his life I'm sure he must have come from a different place . I saw the time , I rushed home . Miss cobble was there again. She was talking to my dad. I sneakily tip toed round the back. Everliegh was there. We began talking and laughing. " Did you have a nice day at school " I said
" I dint go to school " everliegh replied. " I'm homeschooled. My mother doesn't BELIVE in schools, she says that your not getting the proper education that you need"
I learned so much about everliegh . The sky looked gloomy. I leaped from the tree and plopped inside. It was becoming dark. The sweet fresh flower smell faded away. I was nosing through the window. The town was blank as paper. The scent of balckberries slowly died out as the stars glided across the sky. Each and every blade of grass danced as the wind played a wistful tune. I closed the curtains and wondered. I led in my bed hoping that this creature would be ok. I couldn't sleep. I was busy thinking about gran. About mum. About Everleigh . About the creature.

Later that night , I heard the owls. They were singing a nice soothing song. Dawn sprung. I was getting ready for the day. I went into the garden to see dad p. He was planning something. Everliegh waved at me. I asked dad if I could go round. I rushed over. Everliegh mum came to the door . I went round to see everliegh. We talked and talked. I forgot about the time. We were both talking about what could happen in the future. She was admiring the nature around us. She told me that trees help us breath, bees need flowers to make us food. My dad called me. I rushed to the garden. Dad asked me to go to the shops. I asked home to have a walk. I picked up some freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and went to this grand mucky abandoned building.