The limit

Today is the day I will determine how many days I have left to live. At the age of 16, instead of eating a cake and celebrating with your family, you have to go to your local hospital to drink syrup. It will show you how many days you have left before you die and after you take the test you have an invisible number on top of  your head that shows you how many days you have left until...Death.

                    I was on my way in my birthday dress to the lancaster hospital, literally shaking to death. I was so nervous. I could tell that my mom and dad were too. Once we arrived I honestly tried to put my best audacious face on but I knew it was no use. Ever Since my sister took the test and she only had 3 days left to live. She and her boyfriend, Jerold, got married. Its been 2 years and i’m pretty sure that jerold moved on. The thing is, I haven't and I still miss her alot. I feel as if I could tell her everything, no matter what. A lot of people said we were a like, I just hope that our test results aren't.  My parents weren't aloud to go in so I gave them a bear hug.

     My dad patted my back and said, “Good luck kiddo!”

I walked in and there was this lady with brown luscious hair and blue dazzling eyes that looked around the age of 30.

     She said “Hey, Im Shannon and I will be assisting you to your room. Care to follow?”

         It took me awhile to answer, but I finally said “Oh, um, okay.”

We were walking down a very narrow hallway, then the lady pointed to my room. I hesitated and slowly twisted the door knob open. I saw this guy around my age in the same bed next to mine coughing really hard. I kinda felt bad. I was going to introduce myself, when all of the sudden I saw blood gushing out of his mouth. I ran over to his side and was about to press the emergency button, when his hand overlapped mine to stop me from pressing it. His hand felt so warm and safe. I was trying my best to say some soothing words to calm him down. I was afraid to experience someone dying right in front of me again. The thing was that his breathing started to ease. I took a sigh of relief. We just sat there. Me on the edge of the bed and him laying cozily on the bed, trying to take in the moment that just happened. ‘

    There was an awkward silence before I said “What the-you-you were just about to like die!”

 He replied “No, no I wasn’t.’

    “Then what the heck was that? why did you just- what?”

    “Its complicated, okay? I just want to hurry up and take this stupid test. Where the freak that Shannon chick?”

    I was honestly thinking the same thing, I was about to go look for her when all of the sudden she came in with a cart that looked like the ones the flight attendants have when they serve us food. But inside the cart was not food, it was the one and only brown liquid that would determine how many days I have left to live. I slowly walked over to my bed to sit. I was just laying there looking at the ceiling while Shannon was putting on her gloves. I still wanted to know the guys name and make a conversation, just to make this less awkward. Shannon handed us both our syrups to put us in a coma. I took a sip and turned over to him to ask for his name but my vision was getting blurry.

   All of the sudden I was in front of a boy and a girl. I couldn't see their faces but I could hear them very clearly.

  The girl in the Brown hair, just like mine said “I just want to make a difference, you know?”

  “Yeah, but if they find out who we are,” the boy replied “They will kill us right away”

Wait, where am I and what are they talking about? What did they do to have someone want to kill them? And why aren’t i finding out how i die? WHAT IS HAPPENING? I know for sure that this is not normal. I was cut out of my thoughts when i realized that the ‘They’ I was talking about was me and that kid from the hospital.