Epilogue

Callista was pregnant with her first child after three years of a wonderful marriage. The family doctor, Anthony's biological father, was fired, and a new family doctor was assigned. That family doctor was there during the birth of the child. Anthony was by Callista's side the whole time. Fear raced through his head, praying that she survived. The doctor encouraged Callista that the child was almost here, for her to push just once more. Callista pushed and screamed and the child was born. Anthony looked into her eyes to see if she was alright. Life was still in her and he was so happy. Callista and Anthony looked to the doctor, and he was holding the child, but the child did not cry.

            Shaking his head, the doctor told them that the child was dead, and by the look of it died early on in the pregnancy. Anthony looked at the small bloody child and tears formed in his eyes. Callista looked at the child too and wailed from the pain. The child, who was to be named Vitalis, was dead before he even began to live. The following day, Callista was nursed by Althea.

"Althea, why…how can our baby have died before he even lived?" Callista sniffled.

"I am not sure miss," Althea said truthfully.

"Do you think Anthony is cursed? His father named him Thanatos, obviously for a reason. Do you think Anthony is plagued to life a life full of death?" Callista asked as she whipped away her tears.

"No, I never believed in that. This is the way life is; it is full of wonders and full of sorrows. Life and Death are not the same, but are related. You cannot have life without death, they are a cycle miss; life, death, rebirth. Right now I know something in this world is being born now. It is a cycle, we may not understand it, but we must accept it," Althea spoke.

            A knock was on the door and Anthony came in. Althea nodded to both of them and left them alone. Callista tried to hold her tears in but some slipped out. Anthony hugged her, and pulled her in tightly.

"I overheard your conversation. Althea is right about life, death, rebirth…and accepting it. As you know after my father died I was driven crazy by trying to figure it all out, but once I accepted it, I was at peace," Anthony explained.

"It's hard…Vitalis died, and I know of nothing that is born, where is rebirth?" Callista whimpered.

"Do you remember Pyralis? I know you do. He and I have a bond, and I just found out that his mate has given birth to a cub, a healthy one too."

"You are not lying? If you are telling the truth then I see this cycle…but I am not done mourning our son," Callista said stubbornly.

"And nor am I. We shall have a child one day, like Pyralis. Callista, do you know why I fell in love with you?"

"No."

"Because you are a strong woman. Do not give up. Yes, our child has died, but that does not mean that life if over. Just because death occurs, does not mean we stop living. We must keep living, in honor of Vitalis. Honor him by staying strong."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! This is a short story that was a school assignment, and i am not sure about this ending so tell me what you think!

(also yeah its short i am working with a 10 page limit to hand into my teacher)

Do you like it?

Do you hate it?

If you want a different ending suggest one, cuz i am not sure how crazy i am about this ending...