A Broken Heart and a Goodbye

Isn't it funny how we began? We were just strangers.

You were the outgoing boy who sat in the front of the classroom and I was that shy girl who sat in the back.

I remember when I first talked to you; the way you looked at me I could never forget.

You looked at me like you were a blind man seeing the sun for the first time.

Then you asked for my number and we went our separate ways but later that night you called me and we talked on the phone until the morning light.

You told me everything about your life and how I was the only one who made it seem right.

You promised me the world and even planned our future out.

You promised you would never hurt me and told me you would always stay.

Everything was going great but something in me knew you were going to go away.

June rolled in and everything started to change.

Our phone calls got shorter, my nights they got longer and you stopped replying.

You stopped telling me goodnight so I stopped sleeping.

I missed the six a.m 'good morning beautiful how you've been' texts, and the phone calls that kept me up all night.

How you kissed me when I was in the middle of saying something, I miss those rude interruptions.

I miss the way you missed me.

I guess you could say that I was the fool because I was the one who believed your empty promises and the little white lies.

Despite all of that something in me just couldn't let you go, I wanted you to touch me even if that meant I was going to bleed, I wanted those seconds of happiness even if it meant a night of tear stained pillows.

You were like fire, I kept touching you thinking that I wouldn't get burned.

For a while I pretended that I didn't have to end it but I knew I was going to say goodbye.

I remember it clearly that cold day in July when I called you on the phone and I told you goodbye.

I'm sorry I hurt you I really didn't mean too but deep down we knew there was never going to be a me and you.

I just find it ironic how we ended like we began, we are just strangers.