3

I saw through Goldeneyes mind.

It must of been before he abandoned me, because he looked happy. He was going to the fresh-kill pile when the leader asked him to come with him. Goldeneyes was curious to hear what he said so he followed him all the way out to the river.

"I understand you want to be deputy, since our old one has died."

"Yes sir, a lot. Oh, but nothing personal with Groundhog."

"Your sister, Lightpaw, is a bright young one isn't she?"

"Oh yes, and she's so curious. Her paws are much too big for her, she keeps falling over so much." Goldeneyes chuckled, as if he was actually proud of me. I mentally snorted, not believing the act.

"Kill her."

"WHAT?" Goldeneyes sprang up, glaring right into our old leader's eyes.

"I like your spirit, you also fight well. But Lightpaw is a distraction, if you want to be deputy you must kill her." The leader sat down looking at his claws, bored. I couldn't believe he was actually talking about the death of me so calmly!

Goldeneyes bowed his head, avoiding eye contact. But I saw his lip trembling.

"As you wish, my leader." Then the memory dissolved.

I stared, wide-eyed with my mouth open at the present Goldeneyes. He looked sad, ashamed even.

"I didn't want to kill you or hurt you in the slightest. That's why I left you stuck in the pit. If I really wanted you dead I would of finished you off. That has shamed me ever since. Will you ever forgive me?" He asked, looked down at his paws.

My heart swelled with happiness. All the hatred was a lie, he really didn't mean it. He raised is head and I gratefully said, hoping to have my brother back,

"I forgive you."