CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

Long wavy blonde hair, sparkling blue eyes that shows a myriad of emotions as it flashed by, porcelain skin, a tall and slender body with soft curves—that describes Stephanie Ross to a T. Girls envied and want to be her and guys simply wanted to bed her. Everyone in school knows who she is. She’s the star ballerina of the school, the prettiest in school but despite being whispered behind her back, she was also the school slut.

It was an exaggeration. But she wasn’t a virgin either. There was no sense in lying about her status. Nothing was going to change even if it wasn’t true.

“Steph, want to be my date for the party tonight?” asked Adam Harley, one of the school’s football players. With a charming grin, warm brown eyes and black hair, he was a charmer and a player.

Stephanie blinked out of her thoughts as Adam leaned the locker door on his shoulder. He was a handsome guy and truthfully, Stephanie did find him attractive. “Hello Adam,” she said simply. “I’m sorry, I spaced out. What were you saying?”

“Will you be my date for Taylor’s party tonight?” he asked, chuckling.

She glanced at the end of the hallway from the corner of her eye when he entered. His name is Caden Alexander Matthews. He was the most handsome man she had ever had the pleasure of seeing. He had chestnut brown hair that was styled in a sexy bed-hair on top of his head and dark green eyes. He was built like a Grecian statue of the Thinker with broad muscular shoulders. Not a lot of men were taller than her, most were only inches taller but Caden was at least a foot taller.

Mate, her wolf screamed as it roared back to life inside her.

“Steph?”

Stephanie returned her attentions to Adam and smiled. “Thanks but I think I’ll have to skip your offer tonight. I have other plans,”—which was true—“but have fun though.” She shrugged her tote and closed her locker door as she tried to leave undetected by Caden.

 The key word was tried.

Adam grabbed her elbow and pulled her back to face him. “Hold on,” he said, frowning. He glanced at Caden and then back at her. “Is something going on with you and Caden?”

Startled, Stephanie jostled her arm out of Adam’s grip and played with her earring—a pair of round studs made out of moonstone.  “No, why would you think that?” she asked, feigning ignorance.

 “You were looking at him,” he said with a raised brow.

“So if I were to look at some guy you’d think I have something going on with him? By that logic, we’d be having something going on, wouldn’t we?” she said with a sarcastic tone. Stephanie rolled her eyes. “Stop joking around, Adam.”

She pushed him slightly and shook her head as she walked away. Adam, being the persistent ass he was, rushed to catch up with her. “Come on, you have to admit that it’s bizarre the way you haven’t nailed the guy yet. So…?”

Stephanie stiffened and glared at Adam. “So what? Are you insinuating something because I haven’t slept with him?”

She had dealt with the pain of ignoring what was being said of her behind her back and ignored those that had been said with the intention of her hearing it. But hearing Adam say it pricked her a little. Adam and she had a history. He was a good friend despite his man-whorish ways.

Adam sighed. “I’m not insinuating anything, kiddo,” he said, swinging his arms around her shoulders. “These people don’t know you like I do. I’m just saying that it’s weird between you two. He doesn’t talk about you or doesn’t want to when we bring you up. You never seem to be interested in him at all. It’s weird.”