| iii. provisional

( ᴀʀʀᴀɴɢᴇᴅ ᴏʀ ᴇxɪsᴛɪɴɢ ғᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀᴇsᴇɴᴛ, ᴘᴏssɪʙʟʏ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇᴅ ʟᴀᴛᴇʀ )

———

The sun was shining down on the hot and humid fall day. Light was glistening off of almost every surface brightly, for Nora had to squint her eyes when looking at the surrounding area more than she already had.

She noticed a few abandoned and broken houses outside of the walls--their half-caved in roofs barely being in sight at the top of the wall. The streets were lined with spotless homes, and the grass grew green. To Nora, it felt so untouched by the damaged world it resided within.

It was so different than what Nora was used to that it made her feel slightly uncomfortable. This place was normal. Nora thought about how impossible it would be for her to settle down in this ordinary life that was taking place inside the four walls.

She stood observing unfamiliar faces pass as Aaron exited the house and joined her on the porch. Nora turned to look at Aaron, noticing the two objects in his hand.

My dad's gun. My knife... Crap, how did I not notice they were gone?

Her gaze lifted from her weapons to meet Aaron's eyes.

"Deanna has agreed to let you keep these--under great supervision," Aaron said as he handed her belongings to her.

Nora quickly stashed her knife and its holster in her hand but slowed her pace when receiving the gun. It belonged to her father. It was one of the last things she had left of him. She turned it in her hands, feeling the cold metal under her fingertips. When her fingers stopped feeling the smooth, silver metal and moved onto the rough, hard plastic, she placed her eyes upon the three letters that kept her from forgetting her father's name.

W.S.G.

Aaron shifted beside her, and she glanced at him to watch his movements. He was inching closer to her, trying to look at what Nora was studying.

"Those letters... Do they mean something?" Aaron asked.

"They're my dad's initials. Westley Saint Grey..." Nora sighed as she ran her fingers over the grooves in the plastic.

She could see Aaron nod from the corner of her eye as she looked at the ground and placed the gun into her waistband. She looked back at Aaron to catch him smiling at her. She questioned him, and the answer she received was as simple as the two words could get.

"Follow me."

With her suspicions, she followed behind Aaron until they reached a house. Aaron opened the front door, stepping aside to let Nora enter first. She was hesitant, but she walked through the doorway and into the home.