Chapter 4

I arrived home to see Rory's car outside, worrying me a little. I quickly headed inside, finding him sat with Kat as they drank tea together. His face lit up as he saw me and stood up to give me a kiss and say hello.

"How's Mike?" Kat asked with a little hope in her voice.

I sat down beside Rory. "The same, he hasn't took it well Kat. He feels embarrassed by the whole thing." She looked down at the ground.

"I don't know why I'm making you see him for me, I need to see him myself." She pushed her hand through her hair. "I'll go now." She said, standing up - looking nervous but determined.

She soon left the house, leaving just Rory and I. This was the first time I'd seen him since what had happened.

"Eva, you know the night Kat slept with that guy?" Rory asked, making my stomach drop. "Kat said you told her you stayed at mine, but you told me you were here."

"Oh, I was here when I called you.." I lied again.

"Where did you stay?" I could hear him growing impatient now.

"I went to Mike's to speak to him and I ended up falling asleep downstairs." I said quietly.

"I don't get why you'd need to do that?" He asked, making me feel heat creep on my cheeks as I felt like he already knew the truth.

"Why are you acting as if I can't be there for my friend?" I got defensive now.

"I thought Kat was your best friend?"

"SHE CHEATED ON MIKE!" I shouted, not being able to stop myself.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I know you were just being there for Mike, I shouldn't have acted like that." Rory hung his head in shame, filling me with both relief and guilt.

I put my arm around him and leant my head on his shoulder. "Don't be sorry." I paused. "You still going over to see him?"

"Yeah, I'll go over now if you want to come?" He asked, taking my hand and standing up. I nodded and stood with him before he led my out into the hall.

We soon arrived at Mike's and Rory rang the doorbell. I glanced into the living room and felt my stomach drop as I saw Kat holding Mike's hand. I'd never seen Mike as angry at someone before, but seeing them so close again suggested otherwise - was he going to forgive her?

Ben opened the door and his face lit up, probably being thankful to see a guy friend that wasn't mixed up in this messy situation. He brought Rory in for a handshake and a hug and we both followed him into the kitchen.

"Are they talking now?" Rory asked Ben as Ben flicked the kettle on.

"Yeah, fuck knows what's going to happen. They were like the dream couple before all this, I can't imagine that just going away." Ben replied, plastering a half hearted smile on his face as he looked from Rory to me.

I nodded, kind of wishing that Ben wasn't right - making me feel worse as I knew I should want the two of them to be happy again but still knowing deep down how I felt about Mike.

We stood chatting in the kitchen for a little longer before Mike came out the living room and straight upstairs, not noticing Rory and I were there. Kat soon joined us with a sad look on her face, obviously still racked with guilt. 

"I think he's beginning to understand how sorry I am, and that I regret last night more than anything." She seemed unsure. "He's still angry and upset, but I could see it in his eyes. He knew I wasn't lying to him." She looked directly at me, forcing me to smile a little as I had to be happy for her.

"Just give him time." Rory said with a smile, giving me time to breathe and think through what was happening.

I didn't know what I wanted anymore - if I went with my desire for Mike it would crush everything I had with my best friend and boyfriend.