Chapter 43: Mischief

Friday, September 19

Corrie sat impatiently through magic class. The subject matter was interesting--they were starting on divination, and today they were discussing the symbolism on standard Tarot cards--but she couldn't focus on it. She and Dawn had agreed that after class they would ask Professor Lal if she had any more information that would help them with Troy, and that was all she could think about. Professor Lal had already reprimanded her for getting the basic symbolism of the Devil card wrong (it was about temptation and bondage, not evil, which would have been obvious if she'd paid attention to the illustration in the handout), and while public embarrassment didn't bother her very much, it still bothered her a little.

She was relieved, therefore, when the class ended and the professor reminded everyone not to forget to read about runes over the weekend, though they would probably be continuing their discussion on the Tarot on Monday. She and Dawn packed up their things slowly and stayed in their seats until almost everyone had left. They stood and waited for another student to ask Professor Lal a question about the assignment. After answering, the professor ushered the other girl out and shut the door, then turned to Dawn and Corrie, raising her eyebrows.

"I can tell you've been distracted," said Professor Lal. "What mischief are you girls up to now? Out with it."

"We're not up to any mischief," Corrie protested.

"But someone else might be," said Dawn.

"Of course that's the case," said Professor Lal with a little smile. "But what do you need me for? I'm sure you can handle it."

Corrie suspected that their magic teacher was being sarcastic, but she forged ahead anyway. "Do you remember when I asked you about that flicker I was seeing when I touched my clover in my writing class?"

Professor Lal's smile faded. Apparently she hadn't been expecting that. "Of course. Has something changed?"

"Well, we've figured out who it is, and Dawn--"

"Who is it?" Professor Lal interrupted.

"A guy. Troy. I don't know his last name."

Professor Lal shook her head. "Continue."

"Well, we can't figure out what the illusion is. You said it must be a strong illusion, right? But Dawn can't see anything."

"She wouldn't, if it's not a glamour, and I'm sure I would know if it were a glamour."

"So there is a difference between glamour and illusion?" Dawn asked.

"Indeed. Glamour is fae magic, pure and simple. Illusion, as you will be learning, mm, sometime in the next few weeks, is concealing magic. A four-leaf clover should be able to cut through any illusion, whether it be glamour or other magic, but your Sight, I would expect only to work on glamour."

"Is there any other way to see through an illusion?" Corrie asked.

"Not using tools as you have been. But I will certainly look for this student, if you think he is a threat."

"I don't think he's a threat, not really. But I guess I'm worried about him. I'm not sure he knows there's an illusion on him."

"Really?" Professor Lal leaned back against her desk. "That's... unlikely, but not impossible."

"Well, even if he didn't before, he does now," Dawn pointed out. "Since you told him what happened when you touched a clover and looked at him."

"Right." Corrie hadn't been planning on mentioning that, since it was embarrassing, but she guessed it had to come out, anyway. "That was kind of dumb. But I think after that he went looking for a clover and freaked out when he found it."

"What happened when you told him what happened with the clover?" Professor Lal asked.

"He got upset." Corrie thought back. "He got mad, I guess."

"My guess would be that he's hiding something and doesn't want you to find out. That might explain why he's in neither introduction to magic class, but if he's using magic to hide something, I do wonder what he is doing at this college. He would have to expect that his illusion would be seen through eventually."

"How did you know he's not in a magic class?" Corrie asked, surprised.

"I know that neither class has a student named Troy. But that isn't important. Do you girls want my advice?"

"Of course," said Dawn.

Professor Lal nodded. "I think you should mind your own business. I don't mean to be harsh, but if this student is no threat, you don't need to worry about him. I will look for him and see what I can do, but all you need do is focus on your classes." She walked to the door and held it open. Corrie knew a dismissal when she saw one. She and Dawn walked slowly out.

"I knew she was going to say that," said Dawn once they were well away.

"I guess I'm not surprised," Corrie admitted. "Grownups, wanting us to do the responsible thing."

Dawn laughed. "Can I assume that you have no desire to do the responsible thing?"

"Exactly!"