Chapter 1

In the Teryan society everyone plays a role. Most of the government positions are held by what we call 'the specials' or people with magical abilities. Most businesses are run by humans and most of the homeless are humans as well.

However, since the treaty of peace was first formed over 100 years ago, the strength of the specials has been declining as they breed with humans. Scientists have predicted that unless a law about only mating with your own kind is put in place, then the specials will soon become extinct.

But I don't really worry about that since it doesn't have anything to do with me.

I'm completely normal. No magical origins. An all human family. I'm nothing special.

I blend in with the crowds of specials, I'm not seen or heard from. I like it like that. People don't care about who I am or where I've come from. I'm just here. I'm an unimportant part of an important world. No one has ever looked at me or noticed me.

Until now...

*******

The sun is sitting just above one of the clouds in the sky, glaring down at the rest of Earth. It's piercing gaze rests on mine and I immediately feel at home.

It's weird that no matter where you are in the world, the sky always looks the same. So no matter who you are or where you come from, it will always be there exactly the same as it was the day before. I've always found comfort in the sun and the warmth that seems to delve deep into my soul at our every encounter.

For many mornings similar to this one, I have sat in this wind rider staring into its rays, hoping they will somehow lift me from the crowd and give me a purpose.

Sure I like being unpopular because it's easy to go unnoticed but I can't help but yearn to make a difference.

"How did your first night without your parents go?" Someone asks.

I turn to see my best friend Tori. Her face is a picture of sympathy and reassurance. I've known for a month now that my parents would be leaving Teryan to complete a government investigation into the northern borders of the realm. Reports of people disappearing in nearby towns had been terrifying the whole population for weeks before that.

My parents however are the best at what they do. Too bad that they job description doesn't enlist one mentally troubled teenage girl.

"I'm fine. It's only 3 months Tori I can manage," I respond, pretending to look out the window thoughtfully.

"Dude, spending 3 months alone in a massive house isn't good for anyone," she presses.

"That's why I've got you though isn't it?" I point out.

She laughs lightly.

"As much as I wanna taunt you with that for the rest of your days I can tell when you're upset," she leans closer, her eyes searching mine.

Huffing in defeat, I return my gaze to the sun. I feel the leather seat I'm sitting on dip down to my right as Tori sits beside me.

"Come on Sky. You can talk to me".

I breath out heavily.