Chapter 4

Jason's POV

A gasp escapes each of our mouths as we observe the long blonde hair cascading over her shoulders and the lack of muscle in her torso, indicating that this indeed was a girl.

I instantly feel the other two boys behind me go rigid. With my hands still resting on her shoulders I shrink back in shock. The girl seems to take my surprise as a look of disgust, taking a step backwards, whilst pushing a strand of hair behind her ear timidly.

"You're the fire chosen aren't you" I conclude, staring her deep in the eyes.

Her eyes crinkle in confusion, shocking me even more.

"W-What are you talking about?" She whispers, "I think you've got the wrong person."

She begins to turn away but I simply grab her by the wrist, turning her back to face me. On closer observation she is actually quite pretty.

No no, not the place or time.

"You can't be a chosen" Parker mumbles from behind me, "y-you're a girl!"

Even Luke is silent, eyes wide in shock, a colour I've never seen on him before.

"I'm not a chosen! I-I'm just a human, a boring pointless human!" She yells at us, as though she is trying to convince herself, "I'm a nobody, I'm not worth anything!"

This time my heart cracks, but I cover it up with a glare that makes her look even more afraid.

"Do it" Parker says bluntly from behind me.

I know that he's referring to the method of detecting chosen that he demonstrated to us earlier today.

"But it'll hurt her-"

"Are you a wimp? Just do it!" He shouts.

Her eyes immediately go wide in fear, flickering between the three of us and then back to my grip on her wrist.

"None of this matters, we have to know!" He instructs me.

I don't even bother nodding. I simply turn back to face her and attempt to cover my fear.

"Try not to scream too much, I don't feel like another headache" I tell her, heartlessly.

I hear her start to hyperventilate but only for a second, before I place both my hands on her forearms right above her veins and pour as much of my magic into her as possible.

Parker told us that if they're a chosen then their magic will respond in defence.

Guilt floods me as I hear her deafening scream echoing through the hallway. Even Parker cringes beside me. Yet, just as I'm about to pull away and conclude that she's telling the truth, I feel something.

It starts out as a flicker of heat but soon escalates until it is too much for me to handle. I pull away just as her eyes start to glow a savage red, fire coming out of every part of her. Parker grabs my arm to pull me back from getting burnt but Id honestly brave the heat just to stop her pain.

However, it doesn't seem to matter since seconds later her screams die down and the fire around her dissipates, her limp body collapsing on the ground.

The three of us are completely silent in the moments that follow, ignoring the growing amount of people who have flooded from the classrooms.

"Great, now she's unconscious! Thanks Jason!" Parker mutters.

The vicious glare I send him is enough to get him to keep his mouth shut.

"We have to take her back with us, she's gonna-"