Chapter 20 -Seeing Stars

That blue gown fell against her skin so beautifully. The wind decided to pass through her hair, engulfing me in her scent once again. It was torture. Was I really this pathetic? Couldn't I resist even a little bit?

No. I couldn't. I knew that she had me since the beginning.

I laid on the ground and looked up at the stars, hoping it would keep me from looking at her.  

Taehyung, get yourself together. Don't get a crush on the future queen. It won't end well for you.

It can't.

My heart clenched as she lay next to me.

"You'll get your dress dirty." I said.

She shrugged, seemingly uninterested in the condition of her clothing. "There are worse things. Like getting kicked in the head. Actually, I take that back. That's really not that bad."

I laughed. "Not bad?"

"Nah. You just get stunned for a bit, but it doesn't hurt as much as you think it would."

"You really are full of surprises, Princess."

We talked for a couple hours. Not as assistant and princess, but as friends. I wanted to keep this moment. I wanted to keep us equals. But no matter how attracted to her I was, I knew I couldn't keep any of this. She was a royal member, betrothed to the king. I was a servant. I couldn't let her give up her station for me. I had nothing to give her that was worth that.

Although I couldn't keep her, I wanted to savor this night with her as if she could be mine.

"Do you feel better?" I asked.

She nodded, turning towards me. I looked back up at the stars, pretending not to notice. I couldn't look her in the eyes as she lay next to me. I didn't know what I would do.

"Thank you." she said. "This is just what I needed."

Her hands wrapped around my arm and she laid her forehead on my shoulder.

Stop making this difficult.

I ruffled her hair in response. I couldn't do anything more than that.

"Well, you two look cozy."

I sat up and turned to see Prince Jungkook in the doorway.

Damn. This looked bad. How was I going to explain laying next to his brother's future bride?

I could tell by the glint in Prince Jungkook eyes that I couldn't make this kind of slip up again.