Girls CAN Play Football

Girls can't play football.

Oh, how those four words get me so riled up. I've heard those four words all my life. My brother's said it, my friends said it, heck, my own parents said it.

My name is Lana Levine, and football is my life.

It's quite hard not to love the sport that your grandfather, father, and all three of your brothers play. The game was like oxygen for me; I couldn't live without it. When I was young, my parents didn't mind if I played the rough sport, because it meant I could play with my brothers. But as I grew older, my parents tried to mold me into the "perfect daughter". They set me up for dance lessons and urged me into sports like cheerleading.

But I wanted more than to just be another ditsy cheerleader with a tiny skirt and a face caked with makeup. I wanted to feel the weight of football gear on my shoulders and have dirt on my face and jersey. I wanted to feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins as I zigzagged through opposing players towards the end zone.

"Just leave football to us, little sis." My brothers would say.

"Who's ever heard of a girl football player?" My friends would gossip behind my back.

"You can't play football, you'll end up in a wheelchair! How about ballet?" My parents would plead.

"Do you really want to be the big, burly girl who plays football with the men?" My ex-boyfriend scowled. Eventually he dumped me because I wouldn't be his ditsy little cheerleader. Good riddance.

The only person who supported me was my best friend Dillion. He was our schools star quarterback, and my best friend. In ninth grade, I snuck out of cheer tryouts to tryout for the football team. I didn't make the team. Apparently I wasn't "big" or "strong" enough.

But I wasn't one to give up.

For what I lacked in weight and strength, I gained in speed, agility and precision. Dillion vowed to be my personal trainer, pushing me to the limits while I was running on the treadmill and throwing and kicking footballs.

In tenth grade, I tried out for football again. Once again, I lacked in weight and strength, but I ended up being the fastest  and most agile player in tryouts, making me a great wide receiver. I also had powerful legs and great aim, which are perfect for scoring field goals.

Imagine everyone's shock when little ol' me made the football team. My parents were nervous and slightly upset at first, but after a few games, they gave in. My brothers were also uneasy at first, but changed their minds when it meant they could tackle me without getting yelled at by our parents.

But when all the odds were stacked against me, when almost everyone told me to quit, I came through in the end. And everyone learned something very important that day:

Girls CAN play Football.