The War God

Annabeth

Waking up these days was more awful than torture. But Percy made it fine. It made me wake up, just to see him. But now, I got the fright of my life. Percy's chair beside me was empty.
I began frantically searching him, till my vision allowed. The place was pitch black, making it harder. I was on the verge of crying, though I don't cry much. I struggled helplessly against my straps, but to no avail. Things were getting harder and my brain started spinning faster. Just when I was about to let go, start crying my eyes off and curse the Gods for making that illusion true, something fell and someone cursed in front of me. Right in front of me.
"Percy! "
"Annabeth!"
And those sea green eyes bore deep into mine, meaning the world to me. He cupped my face, giving a long kiss and we touched our foreheads, living the short moment of reunion. After Tartarus, staying a minute without Percy was a nightmare itself. I couldn't express how glad I was to see him.
"Thank the gods! I don't know why I said that, but seriously, I was frightened out of my wits.",Percy was blurting out.
"Me too! Oh my Gods! Percy. Just listen up before the next God comes over. Whatever they show you is an illusion. Please do not believe it. Whatever happens, we will end up together again after each time is up. Here itself. Just don't fall prey to their tricks. Okay? "
"Sure. But that tells me, something went wrong the last time. Because in the forest, the last thing I remember is a blow on my head. "
"I wish not to talk about it. It's disturbing."
Before he could reply, the room filled with the light.
......................................................................
Percy

My least favourite God. Ugh. It had to be him. I had fought him during my first quest. I was 12 back then,  but the sight of him still freaks me out.
Annabeth was still in the chair. I stood in front of her, protectively, determined to save her this time. I won't let anyone hurt my Wise Girl.

"What would you do to us huh? Haven't you had enough?", I croaked with what little strength I had.
Ares was staring at me wildly. I wanted to cower in a corner and forget my life, but I couldn't budge. My one hand was clasped in Annabeth's, getting moist. I clenched my fist, getting ready to punch Ares in the face if need.
"Jackson. Ha!. I know your weak spot. Let's make a deal, shall we? "
Before Annabeth could protest, I nodded.
"You fight me, and if you win, the girl lives. Else you know what."
The colour drained from my face. The last time I had fought him, though I was only 12, I seriously think I had gotten lucky. And also, I wasn't half dead then. Now, keeping ground for minutes was near to impossible.
"You have to do it for Annabeth. You have promised yourself you will save her. Come on. "
I was dimly aware of Annabeth squeezing my hand and shouting, but just for a while. The scene around me changed as soon as I looked up at Ares.

I was in a battleground. Rather, an empty battleground. And I was glad I had Riptide. Annabeth was chained to a pillar at its edge. She was struggling vigorously, eyeing me with anger as well as worry. Determined to save her, I faced Ares.
He was clad in full armour. One hand held sword, the other a whip. A knuckleduster adorned his left hand fingers, while a chain was wrapped in his right. He looked no less than a gangster. I was in for some serious fight. I met Annabeth's frightened eyes once and charged, right into Ares.
He didn't even budge slightly at my attack, simply sidestepped. I had a last minute strategy and faked the attack, going for his knee. My sword clanged on his armour, hoping to find a chink. His knee and thigh plate were seperated, thankfully, and I successfully cut him in the gap.
I successfully made the first cut, in my first attempt. Maybe, just maybe, I could win this.
Just as that thought came over, Ares lunged at me with his sword, and I barely had time to register it. My cheek got a huge bleeding gash.
We were circling each other, me finding faults in his stance, though he was perfect. After all, he was the God of War. He basically invented it.
"Concentrate Percy! ". Annabeth almost spoke in my mind and I just parried Area's sudden attack with Riptide, attacking his stomach, but it was completely covered. The sword cut through thin air as I barely escaped from being decapitated.
We fought for who knows how much time, by which I was exhausted, but less hurt. Annabeth was too silent, maybe trying not to distract me. It began to frighten me. Ares was fast, but my earlier fight gave me the required knowledge and experience.
But it wasn't enough. I was foolish to stop to catch my breath, which led me to doom. Ares thrust his sword right into my gut as Annabeth screamed behind me.
I clutched my stomach, hands bloody, and it felt like it was being twisted into tighter knots. Annabeth was still shouting my name, maybe struggling frantically to get to me. Riptide clattered on the floor as I doubled up. Mustering all my strength, I stumbled towards Annabeth who was gaping at me with red, bloodshot eyes.
"Don't worry, it is just an illusion. Stay strong!", I cried, advising her the same thing she had told me.
She looked like she wanted to believe it, but in vain. I clutched  her face, my blood licking her cheeks, and kissed her, though for a while, before I was pulled back harshly.
I fell on my back and saw Ares advancing towards Annabeth, a dagger in hand. Annabeth gave him a bloody look, which frightened me.
"You will pay for this Ares. I won't let you get away with this! "
"Ha! Too strong words for a puny demigod. And above that, a child of Athena. Brains can't touch me you fool!".
I heard Ares shout as he shoved the dagger in Annabeth's stomach in the blink of an eye.
......................................................................
Annabeth

Dying was painful. Dying multiple times was horrible. After Ares thrust that dagger through me, which I recognized as mine, Percy's eyes widened and he stood up frantically, but Ares shoved him away with a flick of his wrist. Percy flew off and landed motionless a few feet away. The pain of Percy dying was clawing at my heart, and the knife was scraping at my insides. I doubled up, as much as I was able to with those shackles, trying not to scream. Keeping up much longer was impossible, and of no use. My eyes rolled back in my head as Ares's voice boomed,
"Serves you right, you traitors!"