I Saw Stars

As I had predicted while I was waking up, Nona was already up and about bustling around the house as if it was nothing. 

 “Morning Nona.” I sent her a small smile as I scooted my way past her bedroom door. There she stood, palm against the mattress, arranging the sheets just the way Grandfather liked them. A pang erupted in my heart as I watched her turn and send me and sad smile. 

 On October 9th, 2013 Grandfather finally ended his battle with level three cancer. Its hard to speak about him the way I used to because all the memories that cloud my brain now consist of the ones where he was weak with pain and hallucinating about being dead vividly. 

 Shaking my head slightly, I fixed my towel and jumped down the hallway at a quicker pace. Two weeks into the 2nd quarter and I had already been late to homeroom 3 times! Once more and Mr.Daniels probably wouldn’t hesitate to crucify me.

 I stepped into my room and clicked the lock into place. Nona had already come in here and picked up a bit, though she needn’t have to do that. I was perfectly capable of caring for myself.. More or less anyways. 

 She had also taken the liberty of hand picking my attire for me. I inwardly groaned and surveyed the clothes that were laid on my bed.

 A grey pleated shirt, ankle high socks, black mary janes and Oh! Can’t forget the 1980’s school girl blazer.

 Nona always wanted what’s best for me- but I don’t think she exactly understands my taste and the trends nowadays.

 I carefully folded up the clothes and dropped them in the basket on my floor, and opened up my closet to choose my outfit.

 See that’s the thing about fashion- you have the right to be who you want. No-one can tell you what to wear nor how to wear it. The right to be creative doesn’t come easy in my life.

 -

 “Bye Nona.” I leaned over and kissed her worn cheek. The faint smell of perfume overcame my senses. I pulled back and eyed her.

 “You’re not seeing anyone, are you?” I sent her a suspicious look. Nona simply rolled her eyes and grinned.

 “What’s a girl gotta do these days just to smell nice?” We glared at each other before she broke the contest and burst out into laughter. I joined her and finally stopped when I realized we were holding up the car line.

 “Have a nice day at wherever the hell you’re going Nona.” I flung my backpack over my shoulder and made a hasty retreat before she could sass me back.

 So here’s the part where I tell you about how much I hate High School and the people here and how the teachers suck and whatever whatever whatever.

 Though that may be true, I don’t really hate hate high school like I implied before.

 The people here suck, the teachers stink, and if you even dare to have a bite out of the cafeteria food you might as well check yourself into the ER before 1st period. There’s no telling what’s in that lunch meat!

 Anyways, the highlight of my day here at education.com/school is hanging out with Ms.Mildred, the best custodian in the history of custodians. 

 I’m getting sidetracked. You’ll see how cool of a person she is later on today- in the meantime I need to focus onto getting to homeroom.

 I clobbered my way through people standing around doing nothing and hurried to building B. 

 Whose idea was it to start all the buildings on the other side of the school? (Morons. They’re all morons I tell you.)

 I must have climbed Mount Everest or something because by the time I had finished trotting up all those stairs I was out of it.

 The door to my classroom flung open, as if someone had thrown it open just for the fun of it.

 And who do you think was right dab smack in front of that damned door?

 That’s right. Your’s truly.

 I saw it coming before I truly had time to process what was happening. 

 And let me tell you something, I didn’t just fall hard.

 I saw freaking stars.

 -