On The Horizon

Beep. Beep. Beep.

 I hastily opened my eyes and glimpsed at the noise that was penetrating my dreams. 

 No other than my wretched alarm clock. 

 Fingers fumbling against the cool fleece, I exhaled loudly and threw the covers to my side. The morning sun was coming over the horizon, the arrival of a new day was near. 

 School day that is.

 I quickly scooped up my crutches and hobbled to the front door of my room, quietly trying to make it to the bathroom before I awoke Nona. She was usually up before me, but knowing how hard she’s been working herself these past few months has made me question whether she’s capable of doing the same house labor she used to be able to do.

 Down the hallway from my room was the bathroom. Nona had equipped it to have a bar on the wall so I could safely hang on to it while I dressed or undressed. 

 This was one of those times where I was half asleep, so you could say I was thankful for her wistful brain. She was always thinking of clever ways to help me better manage my way around the house. 

 I’ll be blunt with you- I hate being “disabled.”

 I hate having to wake up in the morning earlier than everyone else because it takes me longer to get dressed.

 I hate having to watch Nona break her back to provide for me. Doctors appointments, regular checkups and new prosthetics' simply don’t pay for themselves. 

 I hate not being treated the same way by my classmates simply because of the fact that I have half a leg, not two. If there’s one thing I had to learn when I was eight years old was that I would forever be different from the rest- and not by choice.

 My whole entire life has been a struggle with finding who I want to be and who I want to become.

 But if there’s one thing my 16 years 6 hours and 45 minutes life has taught me is that simply it goes on.

 My name is Soul Havana Young.

 And I consider myself nothing but a beautiful Soul.

-