Chapter 1

SAM'S POV

Another woman smiled at me as I ambled past her. I couldn't put a name to her face but I had definitely seen her around. Actually, I recalled seeing her with my mum a few times, probably someone she knew. But I didn't personally know her. I never spoke to her, not even once. Why should I smile back at some creepy old woman who I didn't fucking know? So I did what I always do. I rolled my eyes and kept walking.

I never understood why people smiled or did that weird head-nod-thing when they encountered each other. I thought it was stupid and awkward. Because if we didn't even have the time to acknowledge each other with a simple greeting, then we probably didn't care about each other enough. So why the formality? I did know, however, that as part of our 'glorious' society, I was obligated to follow the socially accepted norms of the said society but I didn't like to do what I didn't want to, just because I had to.

I clutched my bag a little tighter over my shoulder as I approached the school gates. Mornings were always hectic around here. Parents dropping off their kids, students chatting away as they awaited their friends, teachers yelling at girls for their short skirts or at boys for smoking around school grounds, just a normal day at school basically. I hated it. I didn't like the noise. I didn't like the people. So that was two reasons for me hating it.

I cringed as I saw a familiar face in between the groups of students, biting my tongue when I saw her ecstatic expression as her eyes landed on me. She waved awkwardly and I teetered over to her, whatever little energy I had plummeting down to the ground.

My overactive and overdramatic mind couldn't help but think of many uniquely creative ways to get the hell away from her and the other buffoons attending this hellhole of a school. Maybe I could just faint, then blame it on anemia, heat stroke or hypo tension. Or just turn around and run, lying that I had a severe case of paranoia and mistook them all for demons. They all looked like demons anyway but I couldn't possibly say that out loud.

"Hey! I haven't seen you in forever! Why didn't you call me over summer break?" Erika chirped and I rolled my eyes at her jovial tone.

"I don't do anything that I don't want to, just because I have to," I deadpanned.

It was her turn to roll her eyes. "Sorry, I forgot that you were an inconsiderate asshole." She gave me a smug look, obviously proud of her lame attempt of a comeback. If anyone saw her, they would probably think she won the Oscar or something. Yes, that was how happy she looked. But I probably wouldn't care if she actually did win. So I did what I do best, I rolled my eyes.

People smiled and nodded at me as I staggered through the hallway to my class with Erika trailing behind me energetically like an overexcited puppy. I didn't remember a single one of them and I didn't really care to. I was not sure if I cared about anything, actually. Yet, I didn't know why people gave me the attention they did. I was rude and mostly quiet, still everyone respected me or should I say worshipped me like I was some god or something. I didn't understand it really. At least they didn't bother me so I did appreciate it somewhere deep down.

"So what did you do over summer break?" Erika asked, once we were seated at our respective seats, that is, at the very back of the class. Actually I was top of the class, top of the school really but I didn't like to sit in front because I didn't want to draw attention on myself, although it's not like I wasn't already in the spotlight.

"Nothing," I replied, absentmindedly.

"Dude, two months! Two months of nothing?" She yelled and I shrugged. She gaped at me for a few minutes before speaking up. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Why?" I asked, not really interested in what she was saying but rather on how much she had changed over the years. When I first met her four years ago, she was more of a ...girly girl. I didn't like stereotypes but seriously, she was the shy little girl who blushed every time you spoke to her or who averted her gaze in embarrassment every time you looked at her but as I said, she was not that girl anymore. She was more confident now, less insecure, brave almost and ..a tomboy. Not like I cared, it was just ...interesting. Maybe after being with me for four years, my attitude rubbed off on her.