two

"Izuku, did Yashiro-sensei give you your—" Inko nearly screamed when she caught a glimpse at her son. His school uniform was bloodied, hair disheveled and purple bruises forming all over his face and knuckles. Being the worrywart mother she was, she rushed straight towards her injured son and enveloped him in a firm squeeze.

   "N-Not again..." Inko muttered, pieces of memories she'd much rather forget flashed through her eyes. "What—What happened, Izuku? W-Who did this to you?"

   She was aware of her shaking figure, and the semi-dry blood staining her pink blouse. It was hard for her— She couldn't bear to see her son like this— After all the times her dear Izuku came home scratched up, bloodied, and beaten—

   "—Mom! Mom, it's alright! I'm- I'm alright! W-Well, um, it doesn't look as bad as it seems!"

   Inko snapped out of her distressed stupor and suddenly felt the two warm hands embracing her. Her mind was a little more at ease, though the horrid thoughts still lingered. Her hold on him loosened, and she took a step back.

   Only now did she notice the gaunt man standing behind Izuku, discomfiture and concern etched into his features. He appeared malnourished, and not to mention his loose shirt was stained crimson. That only gave her more of a reason to be worried.

   The mother gave her son the kind of motherly look that demanded an honest answer, "Izuku, what happened? Who is this?"

   She took notice of how Izuku stuttered while picking at the callouses on his dominant hand. It was a bad habit he couldn't seem to get rid of, and she knew him well enough to know it was something he only did when his thoughts ran faster than he could process. You could call it a mother's sixth sense, but she could feel his anxiety.

   "This— This is Yagi-san, Mom." Izuku made a tiny gesture at the man, before hesitating to continue. "He- Yagi-san saved me twice today."

   Said man stepped towards her, his bony hand reaching out for a handshake. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Midoriya-san."

   Inko nodded in agreement, before letting them in and escorting them into their living room.

   The three sat in an uncomfortable silence that rang through the house. No one seemed willing to speak— or rather, no one knew what to say first. Izuku fidgeted, out of habit and nervousness, leg bouncing up and down. Inko had an uneasy expression painted on her face, a kind that was preparing oneself with whatever was heading towards them, masked with a small smile that did nothing to hide it. Yagi— Well, he seemed the most relaxed of the lot. He wasn't feeling-at-home relaxed, not even close, but his heart wasn't about to beat out of his chest either.

   The man cleared his throat before fixing his usual slouch. When he began, he faltered, as if he was rethinking on whether or not to resume his words. In a hesitant tone, taut and flat, he said, "Your son almost died today,— twice."

...

   Izuku shut the door to his room in an exhausted matter, he wanted to do nothing but sleep. He reminded himself that there were still assignments to do, moreover the fact that he was still in his battered uniform.

   With a heavy and involuntary sigh, he set down his schoolbag and sluggishly changed into his comfort chlothes.

  'Your son almost died today,— twice.'

   Yagi's words echoed through his head, his thoughts reminding him of the minor scene that took place in their living room.

   'He— He what?' His mother asked shakily, disbelief coating her voice. She thought he was kidding, or at least, she didn't want to believe him. 'What happened— What happened to my Izuku?!'