Chapter 5 | Hadley

Chapter 5 | Hadley

"They say home is where the heart is, but you took my heart and left me with nothing but a shelter with boards and beams."

"YOU'RE NEVER GOING TO GET A BOYFRIEND AT THIS RATE," Star says

"YOU'RE NEVER GOING TO GET A BOYFRIEND AT THIS RATE," Star says. I look at myself in the mirror once more and begin adjust the length of my skirt so it touches my knees. I open the closet door and I turn around and show them the outfit i've designated for tonight. Kisara and Star frown so intently that their noses scrunch and the fine lines between their brows are impeccable to me.

"I don't really need one, Star," I take off the skirt and Kisara passes me neatly folded blue ripped jeans, and I put a cream-colored sweater with lace over my head. The party had yet to start but Zen had already called Kisara half-heartedly because he was drunk. Extremely drunk. Only because his friends only did underage drinking whenever Asher threw his annual parties, and that was the only time someone could sneak alcohol in. Nora wasn't here because she was already visiting her family for the rest of the week.

I glance over at Star, who had transferred into the academy only a few years back. One of the things I love about her is how she lightens the mood. But one of the things I dislike is how she's incredibly blunt to feelings that the situation then becomes tense. 

Star coughs, "So I heard that Sam is coming to the party tonight."

There was a pregnant pause. I halt in my tracks and snap my head back at them but Kisara quickly cups her hand over Star's mouth to her disgust.

Kisara's shoulder's broadened and her eyes became slightly watery, her voice cracked when it usually was soft and endearing. The thing I love about Kisara was about how she was affectionate, and along with Star, wasn't afraid to speak her mind. She definitely valued others feelings. But that was another thing i disliked, how she could value others more than her own well-being.

She shook her head, "Don't bring him up, you know Hadley's still sensitive about him." She bit her bottom lip, "Besides, what he did to her is unforgivable. He took advantage of our friendship with him. He's a traitor, Star."

Star sighs, "God, all you do is whine and complain. It's sickening." She continues briefly, "I get that what he did was wrong but it's been years. We were still young and dumb. We're humans, we're bund to make mistakes. Plus, he moved on and Hadley still hasn't." 

I could feel the air becoming stiff and suffocating. I could feel my legs slowly giving up on me. A shocking pain was pulsing through my body. If i was going to be honest, I haven't really completely forgiven Sam for what he did. 

She looks at me, her voice stern and composed, "Shouldn't we use tonight as a way to rekindle this strained friendship," Her voice slowly trails off before completely the rest of her sentence abruptly, "She'll finally get the closure she needs."

I stomp my foot and begin walking over to them. The small heels make my footsteps go clickity-clack against the floorboards but my steps are loud and thundering. I needed to stand up for my own feelings.